Teatro Obrero leads the annualreenactment of Escalante Massacre, which claimed the lives of 21 farmers onSept. 20, 1985./PN * Five .45 caliber pistols withseveral live bullets * One .38-caliber pistol with fourlive bullets NNAHR claimed that the confiscatedfirearms and explosives were planted. * Three rifle grenades * 21 improvised petrol bombs Officers of the Escalante policestation recovered the following: The team was holding an informationdrive for the commemoration of the 34th anniversary of the Escalante Massacre,it added. * Two improvised dynamites The suspects were allegedly preparingfor the commemoration of the “Escalante Massacre” when cops flagged down theirvehicle in Sitio Barca around 3 p.m. on Wednesday, a police report showed. BACOLOD City – Eight persons werearrested for illegal possession of firearms and explosives at a policecheckpoint in Sitio Barca, Barangay Jonob-jonob, Escalante City, NegrosOccidental. Police identified them as 20-year-oldClint Mangayon; 19-year-old Kenneth Serondo; 60-year-old Leon Charito;40-year-old Joel Guillero; 55-year-old Buenvinido Ducay; 32-year-old AizaGamao; 21-year-old Jonathan Alcosiva; and a 17-year-old male minor. They wereall detained in the custodial facility of the Escalante police station. However, the Northern Negros Allianceof Human Rights Advocates (NNAHR) said the arrested individuals were members ofthe Teatro Obrero cultural workers and activists. * One KG-9 with 25 live bullets
“Precautionary measures should be takenas the typhoon could cause flooding, landslides, storm surges, and accidentsthat could endanger lives and property” said Mayor Evelio Leonardia. Leonardia issued a memorandum directingthe City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC), especiallyits implementing arm City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office, all villageofficials, and allied agencies to heighten their preparation for theapproaching typhoon. Last week, Negros Occidental Gov.Eugenio Jose “Bong” Lacson also issued order to the DRRMO of theprovince to go on “blue alert” status./PN Although this city is not along the typhoon’s projected path, outer rain bands may bring scattered rains and thunderstorms, thestate weather bureau added. The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysicaland Astronomical Services Administration said the typhoon, which entered thePhilippine Area of Responsibility over the weekend, is expected to cause moderateto heavy rainfall in this city and some parts of Negros Occidental. He said that the need for contingencyplans to be in place, such as the identification of possible evacuationcenters, and the preparation of rescue equipment, personnel, food and medicine. BACOLOD City – This capital city wasplaced under a “blue alert” status to heighten preparedness, measures andprecautionary actions following the upcoming landfall of typhoon Tisoy (international name: “Kammuri”).
BORACAY – The provincial governmentand the Department of Education in Aklan will host the 2020 Western VisayasRegional Athletic Association (WVRAA) Meet slated Feb. 15 to 22. Aklan last hosted the weeklongregional athletic meet in 2015 and hopes to duplicate the successful hosting ofthe athletes, tournament managers and officials in the region. Over 7,000 student-athletes, coachesand local officials from six provinces in Western Visayas are expected to jointhe regional sports event. Education undersecretary RevseeEscobedo and Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go are expected to grace the openingrites. In Feb. 2019, the WVRAA was hosted bythe province of Capiz and Roxas City.(Witha report from Akean Forum/PN) DepEd-Aklan is now in the last phase ofpreparations of the billeting areas in the towns of Banga, Kalibo, Numancia,Makato, and Malinao and the playing venues across the province are nearly setfor the regional sports tilt. The Aklan Calangcang Sports Complex in Makato town. AKEAN FORUM Director IV Ma. Gemma Ledesma led thefinal regional sports council meeting on Jan. 22 in Kalibo, Aklan. Tournamentmanagers and DepEd officials inspected the sporting and billeting venues toensure that school facilities are functional. The athletes in elementary andsecondary levels from the provinces of Capiz, Antique, Iloilo, Guimaras, Aklan,and Negros Occidental will see action in archery, arnis, athletics, badminton,baseball, basketball, billiard, boxing, chess, football, futsal, gymnastics,paralympics, sepak takraw, softball, swimming, table tennis, taekwondo, tennis,volleyball, wrestling, wushu, pencak silat, and dance sports. Negros Occidental, which is slated tohost the 2021 Palarong Pambansa, begged off to host this year’s WVRAA, pavingfor Aklan province to host the regional meet. The grand opening ceremonies will beheld on Feb. 16 at the Aklan Calangcang Sports Complex in Makato town.
The other two Thais had exposure totourists, he added. As of Saturday, one more patient wasallowed to go home, bringing the count of discharges to 10, but the twenty-twoother patients will remain in hospital, he said.(Reuters) The new cases brought the total reportedin the country to 32, considered as one of the world’s highest number ofinfected outside China. Meanwhile, among the four Chinese, threeare members of the families of previously reported cases, while the other oneis a tourist from a “risky area” in China, said Suwannachai. Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, the director-general of Thailand’s Disease Control Department. MINISTRY OF PUBLIC HEALTH-THAILAND Among the 32 cases Thailand has reportedso far, 23 are Chinese while nine are Thais. One of the Thais was part of the groupof 138 evacuated from China’s coronavirus epicenter of Wuhan on Tuesday,Suwannachai told reporters. BANGKOK, Thailand – Thailand’s publichealth ministry reported seven new cases – three Thais and four Chinese – ofthe coronavirus on Saturday. “The seven new cases are all in hospital,”said Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of the DiseaseControl Department.
BERLIN – Some 30 people includingchildren were injured Monday when a car ploughed into a carnival procession inthe small German town of Volkmarsen, with police arresting the driver butdeclining to speculate on a motive. Police in the Germany town of Volkmarsen said it was too soon to say whether it was a deliberate act. AFP Prosecutors in Frankfurt said the29-year-old suspect was a German national who faces charges of attemptedhomicide over the incident in the western state of Hesse. The investigation was continuing“in all directions”, they said in a statement, after police stoppedshort of calling the incident an attack. (AFP)
All the five active cases are being quarantined by the city government. Latest data from the Department of Health (DOH) Region 6 showed that this city has five remaining active COVID-19 cases from a total of 19 confirmed cases since recording started in March. Thirteen already recovered while only one case died. * vice chairperson (for LSIs) – Jeck Conlu of the Public Safety and Transportation Management Office * overall chairperson – Mayor Jerry Treñas COVID-19 can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. a. Meet regularly to discuss the implementation of guidelines and protocols for returning residents, be these LSIs or overseas workers. Mayor Jerry Treñas. CMO These were the guidelines or requirements: * certificate issued by the LGU Health Unit of the place of origin that the returnee has completed the 14-day quarantine and does not exhibit signs and symptoms of COVID-19. c. Coordinate with private and government offices regarding the names, history, COVID-19 testing, accommodation and other important details about the returning residents. Information reached the mayor that these residents – referred to as “locally stranded individuals” or LSIs – were not keen on observing the 14-day quarantine required of all returning residents. These droplets also land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. The committee is composed of the following: d. Coordinate with their counterparts from other local government units (LGUs) and agencies tasked to monitor and manage the COVID-19 situation in the Philippines, regarding the travel details of the returning residents. * vice chairperson (for returning overseas workers) – Franco Anthony Agudo of Iloilo City Planning and Development Office “Naga-worry kita. Indi sila kuno magpa-quarantine. So untaton ta anay ang flights until they agree nga mapa-quarantine,” said Treñas yesterday. * members – Dr. Roland Fortuna (Iloilo City COVID-19 focal person); Dr. Anabelle Tang (City Health Office); Anabelle Rosario Blancaflor (Special Assistant to the City Mayor); Atty. GV Eutiquio Cuñada (City Legal Office) The city’s chief executive hoped that the LSIs would understand that the mandatory quarantine aims not to inconvenience them but to protect fellow residents of the city from the possible spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). f. Recommend to the City Mayor and the City Council for the passage, issuance, formulation, and adoption of policies, measures and legislation to ensure the minimal risk of local transmission of COVID-19 which may be triggered by the arrivals of returning residents. b. Formulate specific safety guidelines to prevent the spread and local transmission of COVID-19. * certificate issued by the City Mayor allowing the returnee to enter Iloilo City Treñas tasked them to do the following: Just this May 11, Treñas issued Memorandum Order No. 145 setting guidelines for the processing of returning residents from enhanced and general community quarantine areas. Thus, said Treñas, it is either the LSIs agree to a two-week quarantine or wait wherever they are currently stranded until the COVID-19 pandemic has ceased. ILOILO City – Mayor Jerry Treñas ordered a temporary halt to the processing of the return of Iloilo City residents stranded in Metro Manila, Cebu and elsewhere due to community quarantine. Should the LSIs agree to undergo quarantine, Treñas said he would immediately order the resumption of the processing of these Ilonggos’ return to the city. e. Submit regular reports to the City Mayor and the City Council or as frequent as the situation may require. * barangay certificate of residency duly verified by the Iloilo City COVID-19 operation center * undertaking that returnee shall undergo mandatory RT-PCR test upon arrival in Iloilo City and shall be subject to quarantine Related to this effort, Treñas yesterday issued Executive Order (EO) No. 083 creating an ad hoc committee. * negative COVID-19 reverse transcription–polymerase chain reactiontest result (only for those from areas under enhanced community quarantine)/PN
However, this entry shall only be allowed upon prior coordination and clearance with the provincial government. “Kinahanglan anay nga i-regulate ang pagsulod sang aton gusto nga magpauli nga kasimanwa in the meantime,” the governor added. Returning residents who would fail to return by July 3 shall be considered LSIs and shall be required the following to return to or enter the province:* Medical Certificate from the originating/sending local government unit* Travel Authority from the Chief of Police in higher command or Travel Authority issued by the governor to their returning constituents, in coordination with the Philippine National Police* Prior coordination and clearance with the provincial and concerned municipal governments. Defensor classified them as “essential entry”. These are the following: “Kon magbukas kita kag indi kita firm sa aton decision ang gwa sini daw Cebu,” he pointed out. So who can enter Iloilo City? In his directive, Defensor gave residents of Iloilo, Iloilo City and Guimaras who are not LSIs – travelling to and staying temporarily in the provinces of Aklan, Capiz, Antique, Negros Occidental and Bacolod City – until July 3 to return to the province. Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. wants to safely control movement in and out of Iloilo province. He issued an executive order barring the entry of persons through provincial borders of Capiz, Antique and Negros Occidental. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN * Government officials, uniformed personnel and personnel travelling in the performance of their functions* Health and emergency frontline personnel and duly authorized Humanitarian Assistance Actors* Persons traveling for medical or humanitarian reasons* Persons granted passage to the airport for travel abroad, or from the airport to the border, provided that, the travel within the Province shall be non-stop from the border to the airport or vice versa* Overseas Filipino workers returning to the province in trips organized by and under the auspices of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration* Residents of Iloilo City, the province of Guimaras travelling there from and into the province Defensor also issued guidelines for carriers in road, rail, maritime and aviation operating for carriage of passengers (bus operators, shipping lines and inter-island bangka or pump boat operators and airlines). These are the following: * Advise persons intending to travel to the province of the above restrictions* Refuse issuance of any public transport contract or tickets* Refuse boarding on any public transport in so far as applicable “We have to make tough decisions otherwise wala pulos ang aton nga quarantine,” Defensor stressed, citing orders from the national government to temporarily suspend travel of locally stranded individuals (LSIs). ILOILO – Wary of further transmission of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. reimposed a border restriction in this province. His Executive Order No. 128-E, Series of 2020 for this took effect yesterday. It prohibits the entry of persons through provincial borders of Capiz, Antique and Negros Occidental. Defensor tasked the Iloilo Police Provincial Office, Armed Forces of the Philippines and Philippine Coast Guard to enforce the border restriction./PN
Army Major Cenon Pancito III, spokesperson of the PA’s 3rd Infantry Division said the 12IB personnel were deployed in the area as part of the Community Support Program (CSP) team. Members of the NPA’s Central Front and 12IB personnel clashed in the area around 6:30 a.m. yesterday. The firefight lasted for several minutes before the rebels fled. Colonel Marion Sison, PA’s 301st Infantry Brigade commander, slammed the rebels for bringing danger to the village. No 12IB members were wounded in the firefight, he added. According to the victim’s father, the lad was mistakenly shot by an NPA member.The victim was wearing camouflage shorts while fetching water in a nearby river, thus he was thought to be a member of the PA. Despite the incident, Sison assured the Tapaznons the CSP team – supported by the local government unit and community – will continue to bring the government closer to them./PN “The rebels do not care whether civilians or properties will be damaged or destroyed because they are in despair. But this will not intimidate us. This will instead propel us to dismantle them,” he said.“Our CSP is hurting them because it is very effective in addressing the root-causes of the insurgency. It creates a tangible damage to their propaganda,” Sison added. ILOILO City – A 16-year-old lad was accidentally shot during an encounter between the Philippine Army (PA) and Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) in Barangay Tacayan, Tapaz, Capiz.The victim was taken to the Tapaz District Hospital by members of the PA’s 12th Infantry Battalion (12IB). He sustained a gunshot wound on the right thigh.
BATESVILLE – In the wake of a fire this weekend, the executive director of Safe Passage, Inc. is expressing gratitude toward community members that offered a lending hand.A fire ravaged the playground area leaving a blanket of black smoke over downtown Batesville Sunday afternoon.Safe Passage Executive Director Jane Yorn told us there were somewhere around fifty good samaratians approaching her within an hour of the fire offering money or help with the cleanup.“The Batesville United Methodist Church had sixteen people here, you know, just working. There were a lot of other great community partners that just showed up and said ‘what can we do to help,’ we couldn’t have gotten people back to safety without that level of support,” Yorn said.Nearby restaurants Randy’s Roadhouse and Ison’s Family Pizza provided meals for those impacted by the fire. St. Johns United Church of Christ Pastor Dave Johnston also stopped in to offer help to the organization.The non-profit is currently assessing damages and determining the following steps. Yorn mentioned she also appreciates the response from firefighters and police.“Our first responders did an incredible job of getting this under control very quickly and assessing the situation which could have been so much worse, if they hadn’t done the job they did,” praised Yorn.Anyone wanting to speak with Safe Passage can reach the organization at (812) 933-1990.
During the off-season all you heard from the NFL was how they were going to cut down on the injuries that were occurring in pro football. They cut back the training activities each team could have. Like all other sports, they put a great urgency on concussion protocol. What they did next would make any person scratch their head.It was not enough to have Monday Night football, but now we have added Thursday Night football. This means that two teams will play on Sunday, and then with just three days to recover, they have to come back and play on Thursday night. Under normal situations they don’t really start practice for their next game until Wednesday. Now they have to practice Monday and Tuesday for this Thursday game. So much for injury prevention! If the owners can find another way to make more money, they will jump at the chance even though they say they are all for player safety.They are not alone in this pursuit of money because college teams will play anytime, anywhere as long as ESPN will televise the game. What will we have next? How soon will we see back to back football games just like pro basketball?