The statistics were released a week after Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Police Chief William Bratton introduced an anti-gang plan that names the city’s 10 most dangerous gangs. It also provides the Valley with an extra 50 officers to target the most violent areas, trains 5,000 officers in gang-suppression tactics and establishes a gang homicide unit in South Los Angeles. Under the plan, 50 of the city’s newest officers will swap patrol duties with veteran officers assigned to a new violent-crime task force. Also, 10 federal agents from various agencies are working in the Valley to combat crime. LAPD spokesman Lt. Paul Vernon said the department has been able to suppress violent crime citywide by placing officers in high-crime areas. But sometimes, he said, it’s a matter of luck. Newton Division in South L.A. had four fewer homicides than last year. This week, he said there were two children and a 60-year-old man shot there – and all survived. San Fernando Valley homicides rose 10 percent in January over the same period last year – a difference of one homicide – while killings dropped 25 percent citywide, according to figures released Tuesday. Police attribute the Valley’s rise to ongoing gang warfare and domestic violence. Between Jan. 1 and Saturday, there were 11 homicides. Deputy Chief Michel Moore, the Valley’s top cop, said the Valley’s additional homicide stood out as a percentage increase because other parts of the city were far more violent to begin with. Besides the increase in slayings, police have recorded a 23 percent jump in shots fired in the Valley over last year. “Sometimes we have to acknowledge luck, good doctors and bad shots,” he said. email@example.com (818) 713-3741160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Donegal TD Charlie McConalogue has called on Agriculture Minister Michael Creed to ensure that farmers are treated fairly and are not penalised for gorse fires that occurred in May earlier this year. The Department of Agriculture has withheld payments from farmers who have commonage shares alongside or in areas where the hill fires took place, leaving them without payments or income in the run up to Christmas.Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Agriculture and TD McConalogue said the system leaves farmers in a difficult position. He said: “These farmers were not responsible for the fires that took place but they are being victimised by the Department, which is refusing to release payments to them.“Many were issued with summary fines on their Single Farm Payment as a result of their land being burned outside the designated burning season, and now they are being forced to choose between accepting the summary fines or appealing them and having to wait months for any payment pending the outcome of the appeal.“This is an entirely unacceptable and unjust system and Minister Creed must change his approach. I have already raised it with the Minister and I will continue to press the issue with him. It is crucial that this matter is resolved so that farmers can be issued with their payments before Christmas.“Hill farming is a low income occupation and farm support payments are critically important in ensuring a farm’s viability. Farmers should not be left in the lurch because of the Department’s hard line and unjust approach in the run up to Christmas. I will continue to pursue this issue until we secure a successful outcome”. ‘Innocent farmers should not be penalised for hill fires’ – Donegal TD was last modified: December 12th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConalogue TDfarmershill fire