Oct 11, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Indonesian officials have reported an H5N1 avian influenza case in a 12-year-old boy in the Jakarta area, raising the country’s human case count to 109, according to news services.The boy is from the Jakarta suburb of Tangerang and is being treated in a Jakarta hospital, said Muhammad Nadirin, a spokesman for the health ministry’s avian flu center, according to a Reuters report published today.Nadirin said it was not clear how the boy was exposed to the virus, but some chickens had died in his neighborhood, according to the story.Eighty-seven of Indonesia’s H5N1 cases have been fatal, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). The WHO’s global count, which does not yet include the new Indonesian case, stands at 330 cases with 202 deaths.Meanwhile, five people with suspected avian flu in Indonesia’s North Sumatra province tested negative for the H5N1 virus, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report published yesterday. The report quoted a spokesman named Momo at the avian flu information center.The five were among seven people from the same village who were admitted to a hospital in Medan, the provincial capital, Oct 6, AFP reported. Momo said he had no information on the other two patients.An earlier report from Antara, Indonesia’s national news agency, had said 8 people were hospitalized with suspected avian flu in Medan on Oct 7, including a pregnant woman and a 3-year-old.In other developments, H5N1 cropped up again in poultry in southern Vietnam this week after a 2-month absence, according to a Reuters report today.The Agriculture Ministry said ducks from a farm in the Mekong Delta’s Tra Vinh province tested positive for the virus, according to Reuters. Testing was done after five birds in an unvaccinated flock of 300 died. The rest of the ducks have since been destroyed by animal-health workers, the story said.Agriculture Minister Cao Duc Phat urged veterinary authorities this week to step up poultry vaccinations, Reuters reported. He said avian flu would soon reemerge among unvaccinated birds, especially as the weather cools in northern Vietnam.
O’Neill said: “These are two very important games in our qualifying campaign and we are looking forward to them. “The players are all now back in action with their respective clubs and will be ready for these games. “We will be training at the new FAI National Training Centre in preparation for the trip to Faro to take on Gibraltar and the home game against Georgia at Aviva Stadium. “The facilities are very impressive and we look forward to making this our training base for all future international camps.” Sheffield Wednesday’s Keiren Westwood is one of five goalkeepers named in the provisional party along with David Forde, Shay Given, Darren Randolph and Rob Elliot, with O’Neill confident he will be fit after bruising a kidney during Saturday’s 2-1 Sky Bet Championship defeat by Ipswich. There is a place too for Sunderland defender John O’Shea, who will hope to win his 105th and 106th international caps despite not yet kicking a ball in anger for his club so far this season. The two games, while on paper perhaps the least taxing of the Republic’s Group D campaign, are crucial if they are to maintain any hope of qualifying for next summer’s finals in France. The 1-1 draw with Scotland at the Aviva Stadium in June represented a significant blow to their chances of claiming even a play-off berth, and they can afford no slip-ups if they are to remain in the mix. Press Association Bournemouth midfielder Eunan O’Kane has earned a first senior call-up for the Republic of Ireland for next month’s Euro 2016 qualifiers against Gibraltar and Georgia. O’Neill’s men currently sit in fourth place in the group on nine points, two behind the Scots in third with Germany on 13 and leaders Poland on 14. Ireland won 2-1 in Georgia, thanks to an Aiden McGeady double, and beat Gibraltar 7-0 in Dublin at the start of the campaign in September last year, and they need maximum points once again to send them into their final two games in October – at home to Germany and in Poland – with their dreams still intact. Squad: David Forde (Millwall), Shay Given (Stoke), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Darren Randolph ( West Ham), Rob Elliot (Newcastle), Richard Keogh (Derby), Marc Wilson (Stoke), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Derby), John O’Shea (Sunderland), Alex Pearce (Derby), Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa), Paul McShane (Reading), James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Derby), Stephen Ward (Burnley), Greg Cunningham (Preston), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Eunan O’Kane (Bournemouth), Aiden McGeady (Everton), James McClean (West Brom), Alan Judge (Brentford), Robbie Brady (Norwich), Anthony Pilkington (Cardiff), Stephen Quinn (Reading), David Meyler (Hull), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich), Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Ipswich), Jon Walters (Stoke), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), Anthony Stokes (Celtic), David McGoldrick (Ipswich), Adam Rooney (Aberdeen), Simon Cox (Reading). The 25-year-old was one of three uncapped players – Brentford’s Alan Judge and Adam Rooney of Aberdeen are the others – included when manager Martin O’Neill announced a provisional squad of 37 on Tuesday afternoon. O’Kane’s club-mate Harry Arter, who made his debut in the friendly draw with England in June, is included despite missing the first two games of the Cherries’ campaign as he recovers from hip and groin injuries.
GRAEME Smith, South Africa’s director of cricket, says that Quinton de Kock’s appointment as ODI captain is the first step in a succession plan aimed towards a successful challenge for the 2023 World Cup, as he confirmed that Faf du Plessis will not be reinstated as leader should he return to the team for the series against Australia in February.Speaking at a press conference in Johannesburg, Smith added that the selectors would review du Plessis’ remaining roles as Test and T20 captain at the conclusion of the England tour, but stressed the need for a “robust” discussion about his long-term future in the team.du Plessis, 35, hinted at the end of last week’s innings defeat in Port Elizabeth that the fourth Test at the Wanderers, starting today, could be his last on home soil.He has been short of runs in the past few months – his second-innings 36 was his highest score in six innings against England, in which time he has been averaging 18.83.And though du Plessis has earmarked South Africa’s Test tour of the West Indies in July as his farewell series, Smith is cautious about committing to the incumbent captain, both for that trip and for the T20 World Cup that takes place in Australia in November.“We see Faf playing a role as a player but from a leadership perspective, we felt the need to move on,” Smith said of the decision to hand over the ODI reins to de Kock. “Faf doesn’t see himself being around in 2023. Leadership has been an issue of late in South African cricket and we have made the decision to give Quinny an opportunity.“We feel tactically he is good, there are areas of his leadership that we all know we need to grow and develop but he is the right guy at this stage to take the one-day side forward.de Kock himself has said he plans to take a “street-smart” approach to his new role, and should it prove a success in the coming weeks against England and Australia, the role could yet be his for the T20 World Cup too.“With the World Cup around the corner, we need to go forward,” said Smith. “At the moment Faf is in that position but I need to sit with him post this Test series. He has got a bit of time because he is being rested from the one-day series so we will have some time to have a robust discussion on his future.“He is the South African Test captain. The next Test match we play after this series will be in the Caribbean – there is an extensive amount of time. I need to understand how he sees his future in the game.”Smith admitted that while his appointment prior to the England tour had helped to deflect some of the political issues away from du Plessis, he had still had to deal with more off-field issues than most international captains, not least given the absence of Temba Bavuma and the impact that has had on South Africa’s transformation targets.“For far too long, he has had too much to deal with and too many things to talk about, and I really wanted that not to happen in this series,” said Smith. “At times it has. Post these series, he and I can really sit down and work on how he sees his future and both of us can put our cards on the table.”In terms of du Plessis’ future in ODI cricket, Smith insisted that the loss of the captaincy did not necessarily mean the end of a white-ball career that began in January 2011, and that his extensive experience could still be important in a new-look squad.“His record in one-day cricket and T20 cricket is outstanding,” Smith said. “It will be silly of us not to have him involved. We’ve put a very young team on the table. Talented, yes, but we are up against the world champions. It could be a very daunting series for our guys, so we need to balance how we expose the youngsters with some senior players.”At the age of 27, de Kock ought to be entering his prime, but Smith acknowledged that as a young leader he will need support on and off the field to grow into his new role.“As CSA we are not going to throw him to the wolves,” said Smith. “He has had a bit of a taste of the leadership in India. We feel he is the right guy to go forward. We have got to support him and make sure he develops into an outstanding leader.”The T20 World Cup could also feature a return to South Africa colours for AB de Villiers, whose belated decision to make himself available for last year’s 50-over World Cup came too late for the selectors to include him.However, even at the age of 36, de Villiers remains one of the pre-eminent T20 batsmen in the world, and Smith said he was open to the prospect of his return. (ESPN Cricinfo)