The European tourism sector is calling for urgent action to help and alleviate the COVID-19 pandemic

first_img– Simplification of visa rules for long-term markets- Reduction or waiver of taxes from passengers- Support to destinations, by increasing the budget for the needs of promotion, marketing and product development as soon as they are ready to welcome visitors again. “The Alliance of European Tourism Manifestos welcomes the immediate response presented by the European Commission on 13 March to mitigate the socio-economic impact of the COVID-19 epidemic. We call for the urgent implementation of these measures, which should be reinforced by additional instruments focused on the tourism sector. Measures are now needed to strengthen the sector’s resilience in the long term and prepare for a speedy recovery from this unprecedented crisis”Emphasize from ETM. European Tourism Manifesto Alliance (ETM), the voice of the European travel and tourism sector, which brings together more than 50 European public and private tourism organizations, issued a statement on the implementation of emergency measures to limit the impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on the sector: The European Tourism Manifesto Alliance calls on the European Commission and national governments to swiftly implement the following emergency measures: In order to guarantee a speedy recovery after the crisis, the ETM calls for the implementation of additional measures: – Temporary state support of national governments for the tourism and travel sector- Quick and easy access to short- and medium-term loans to overcome liquidity shortages, including funds made available by the EU through the Corona Virus Response Initiative- Fiscal relief (both in the source market and at the destination level), starting from small and medium enterprises to economic entities of all sizes- Protection of workers from unemployment and loss of income (short-term work programs, improvement and retraining programs) and support for self-employed stakeholders in tourism- Rapid launch of the European Unemployment Reinsurance Scheme- Postponement of fiscal and social contributions- Adopt the temporary abolition of airport slots- Support for action for the wider field of culture (art and heritage)- better coordination between national authorities in terms of harmonizing travel advice with the affected regions and requirements for travelers returning from those areas. The effects of the pandemic outbreak are already being felt throughout the world economy. Economic activity has declined, and all evidence points to a significant decline in areas affected by the virus. Tourism and the tourism sector are particularly affected. There are currently millions of jobs at stake, with many SMEs at risk of closure. Support for tourism must be a priority in the crisis response, recovery plans and actions of the affected economies, they point out in their statement from ETM.last_img read more

Premier of Australia’s Victoria defends hard COVID-19 lockdown

first_imgThe premier of Australia’s second-most populous state, Victoria, defended on Sunday his decision to put nine public housing towers in a complete lockdown as coronavirus cases continue to rise in Melbourne’s suburbs.The state recorded 74 cases new cases on Sunday, after Saturday’s 108 cases prompted Premier Daniel Andrews to order about 3,000 people not to leave their homes for at least five days and to place police to guard the buildings.”This is not going to be a pleasant experience for those residents, but I have a message for those residents: this is not about punishment but protection,” Andrews said in a televised conference. Topics : Promising two weeks of free rent and hardship payments to the residents, Andrews said public health workers would test every resident of the buildings, except those who have previously tested positive.The communal nature of the facilities, which house people on low incomes, has “genuinely explosive potential for the spread of the virus,” said Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton. In addition to the complete lockdown orders, more than 30 Melbourne suburbs are also under strict social-distancing orders, but people there can leave their houses to go to work, school or to buy groceries.Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, reported 14 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, all returning travellers from overseas.Overall, Australia has weathered the coronavirus pandemic better than most other nations, with just over 8,400 cases and 104 deaths so far, but the recent spike in Victoria is being closely watched by the rest of the country, which has moved to ease restrictions.last_img read more

Saint-Etienne issue warning to Arsenal over William Saliba transfer

first_img Coral BarryThursday 4 Jul 2019 9:37 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link328Shares Saint-Etienne are insisting Saliba is loaned back to the club (Picture: Getty)‘It is an imperative condition should we come to an agreement for his transfer. It’s also William’s wish.’Saliba made 19 appearances last season for Saint-Etienne and is under contract with the Ligue 1 side until 2023.AdvertisementAdvertisementArsenal want to bring Saliba to the Emirates immediately, as Unai Emery looks to bolster his defensive ranks.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityEmery wants a new centre-back and has been linked with Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti and Gremio’s Walter Kannemann.Arsenal reportedly only have £45million to spend this summer, but club transfer chiefs are thought to be ready to ask owner Stan Kroenke for further funds.MORE: Arsenal in contact with Gremio to sign centre-back Walter KannemannMORE: Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke subject of pleas from club to release more transfer fundsMore: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Advertisement Saliba is wanted by Arsenal (Picture: Getty)Saint-Etienne have warned Arsenal they will not allow William Saliba to join the club unless he returns to Ligue 1 immediately on loan.Arsenal are in talks to sign Saliba, who has caught the attention of the Gunners despite only being 18.Saint-Etienne have rejected Arsenal’s opening bid for Saliba and club president Roland Romeyer insisted there was one non-negotiable condition on the deal.‘He will stay at the club this season,’ Romeyer said.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Comment Saint-Etienne issue warning to Arsenal over William Saliba transferlast_img read more