GTT National Indoor Hockey Championships to begin on Monday

first_imgTHE annual GTT National Indoor Hockey Championships will return to the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall for the first time in seven years as the Guyana Hockey Board (GHB) stages its first tournament on the newly installed tiled floor.The tournament has been sponsored by the communications giant for seventeen years and is the top local indoor competition that determines the annual national champions.The competition commences earlier this year as the GHB gears up for the Indoor Pan American Cup to be contested mid-October this year.In order to prepare for the International event, the GHB will use the National Championships as a test event to ensure all systems are in working order.To maximise the benefit to the local national teams, both male and female national teams will compete although they will not be eligible for trophies.The competition features four divisions – Men’s First Division, Men’s Second Division, Ladies and Veterans (Over-35).Pizza Hut GCC striker Sonia Jardine turns Hikers midfielder Nicole Eastman.Despite being three-time champions, the favourites, PEPSI Hikers, will now be without their fantastic four in Robert France, Andrew Stewart, Jamarj Assanah and Aroydy Branford, who will all be making an appearance for the national BLACKS.The club still boasts a solid line-up with veteran Shane Samuels expected to fill the void along with goalkeeper Jason ‘Puzzle’ Hoyte.Old Fort without the likes of the dynamic Aderemi Simon and skilful Jason De Santos will capitalise on its depth of quality to offer good opposition for the top spot.Bounty GCC and Saints are also poised to topple the defending champs with their strong junior teams who competed well in the most recent competition.Pizza Hut GCC have lost six players who have all been called up for national duty but remain the solid favourites to win gold. The defending champions, who have not losted the competition in ten years, will need to bring their A game to hold off the challenges of the new teams in contention.Old Fort have been creeping up the ranks over the past eight years, led by Boshani Kaladeen and Tamala Glen. They will pose a potent attack that will be hard for opponents to handle.The Bingo Spartans are eager to contest their second indoor tournament and are a fast-improving side while new entrants, SIDM, will take the floor in an effort to make the record books as the first debutants to hoist the trophy.Defending veteran champions, GCC Vintage, are strong favourites for the over-35 division while the Old Fort Warriors are expected to have the edge in the men’s 2nd division. Both divisions, however, promise to be competitive as no team has retained the trophy for more than two consecutive years.Matches start on Monday September 25 from 17:00hrs and the finals will be contested on Saturday September 30. Men’s national selections, the BLACKS and the GREENS will play an exhibition match right before the final presentation.last_img read more

Syracuse quarterback decision to be “kept in house”

first_imgDino Babers said at Monday morning’s press conference that the decision on who will start at quarterback for Syracuse on Saturday will be “kept in house.”On the weekly released depth chart, senior quarterback Eric Dungey was listed as the starter ahead of redshirt freshman Tommy DeVito.DeVito relieved Dungey with just more than five minutes remaining in the Orange’s eventual 40-37 double-overtime victory last Saturday. After entering the game with SU down seven, DeVito threw three touchdowns, two of which came in overtime, while throwing for 181 yards and an interception.“The big thing is just making sure that you’re fair and you’re always crystal clear with the family that they know what’s going on,” Babers said.It was unclear if the Syracuse players knew who would start at quarterback on Saturday. When asked if he knew the starter, Babers declined to answer the question.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBabers complimented Devito’s play in saying he had a “good performance,” but then shifted his focus to Dungey. Babeers noted Dungey’s 17 of 33 performance for 225 yards could’ve been stronger.“He had some drops and some locations of some balls that I thought that some receivers should’ve been able to get to,” Babers said.On Saturday, Syracuse’s offense expanded vertically with Devito in the game. The backup quarterback hit two passes of 42 yards or more, including two touchdowns of more than 25 yards.After the game Babers noted that the game plan didn’t shift with the quarterback play and that different things opened up as a response to the defense late in the game. Babers reiterated on Monday that no matter who the quarterback will be on Saturday, the offense stays the same.“The other 10 guys are practicing the offense as well,” Babers said. “If you have a complete change that means you’re practicing two offenses and that means you’re not going to be as productive as you can be and you’re not going to have the efficiency that you need to have.”Babers denied having a “quarterback controversy” within his unit. He said he’s worked on staffs which utilized two quarterbacks before, citing the 1998 Arizona Wildcats. Serving as offensive coordinator, Babers switched between two quarterbacks en route to a 12-1 season that finished with a Holiday Bowl victory.Babers said he’s “not sure” if he’d entertain a two-quarterback system.“Performances that (DeVito’s) put in mean that he’s good enough to play in the game and help us win,” Babers said. “And I think we should treat that position like any other position.” Comments Published on October 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm Contact Josh: jlschafe@syr.edu | @Schafer_44 Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

French citizen returns ancient Greek amphora

first_img Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram A 90-year-old French citizen has been personally thanked by Greek Culture Minister Costas Tasoulas for returning an ancient ceramic amphora he had in his possession for 40 years. The amphora was found by the Marseilles man while swimming off a beach in Crete 40 years ago.The man said he felt the need to return the artefact after he was influenced by the recent international interest on the return of cultural treasures to their country of origin.Mr Tasoulas stressed the importance of international cooperation on the issue of cultural artefact smuggling, and said there should be new and more strict legislation on antiquities smuggling.Source: Greek Reporter Greecelast_img