The European tourism sector is calling for urgent action to help and alleviate the COVID-19 pandemic

first_img– Simplification of visa rules for long-term markets- Reduction or waiver of taxes from passengers- Support to destinations, by increasing the budget for the needs of promotion, marketing and product development as soon as they are ready to welcome visitors again. “The Alliance of European Tourism Manifestos welcomes the immediate response presented by the European Commission on 13 March to mitigate the socio-economic impact of the COVID-19 epidemic. We call for the urgent implementation of these measures, which should be reinforced by additional instruments focused on the tourism sector. Measures are now needed to strengthen the sector’s resilience in the long term and prepare for a speedy recovery from this unprecedented crisis”Emphasize from ETM. European Tourism Manifesto Alliance (ETM), the voice of the European travel and tourism sector, which brings together more than 50 European public and private tourism organizations, issued a statement on the implementation of emergency measures to limit the impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on the sector: The European Tourism Manifesto Alliance calls on the European Commission and national governments to swiftly implement the following emergency measures: In order to guarantee a speedy recovery after the crisis, the ETM calls for the implementation of additional measures: – Temporary state support of national governments for the tourism and travel sector- Quick and easy access to short- and medium-term loans to overcome liquidity shortages, including funds made available by the EU through the Corona Virus Response Initiative- Fiscal relief (both in the source market and at the destination level), starting from small and medium enterprises to economic entities of all sizes- Protection of workers from unemployment and loss of income (short-term work programs, improvement and retraining programs) and support for self-employed stakeholders in tourism- Rapid launch of the European Unemployment Reinsurance Scheme- Postponement of fiscal and social contributions- Adopt the temporary abolition of airport slots- Support for action for the wider field of culture (art and heritage)- better coordination between national authorities in terms of harmonizing travel advice with the affected regions and requirements for travelers returning from those areas. The effects of the pandemic outbreak are already being felt throughout the world economy. Economic activity has declined, and all evidence points to a significant decline in areas affected by the virus. Tourism and the tourism sector are particularly affected. There are currently millions of jobs at stake, with many SMEs at risk of closure. Support for tourism must be a priority in the crisis response, recovery plans and actions of the affected economies, they point out in their statement from ETM.last_img read more

Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi

first_imgFC Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says he does not wish to have any more disputes with club captain Lionel Messi.This was after the Argentina captain reluctantly opted to stay at the club this month after failing to force through a move. “I won’t get into any conflict with him. He’s our captain and the leader of our team,” Bartomeu said before the team’s 1-0 friendly win over Elche on Saturday.“I couldn’t let him leave the club. He is the best player of all time and the team needs him. Having Messi is a guarantee of success.”Messi had complained earlier this month that Bartomeu had not fulfilled a promise to allow him to break his contract unilaterally and leave the club without a transfer fee.He had also lashed out at the president’s leadership.But Bartomeu chose not to fire back against Barca’s all-time top goalscorer. Instead, he praised Messi for turning a page and performing well in the team’s pre-season matches, including scoring twice in a 3-1 win over Girona last week.“We have seen him do his talking on the pitch and we have moved on from the saga,” Bartomeu added.“We should congratulate ourselves for getting Messi to stay with us and for how he has behaved in the last few days. The best player in the world should stay at our home.”Bartomeu has been in the firing line ever since Barca’s historic 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the 2019/2020 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals last month.He came under renewed pressure after a campaign group gathered over 20,000 signatures from members to force a vote of no-confidence against him. In compliance with the club’s statutes, Barca are currently validating the votes and if over 16,520 are approved, then a referendum will be held in the next three months.Two-thirds of 150,000 members are needed to vote against Bartomeu to force his dismissal.Yet Bartomeu, who will be leaving the role after elections in March regardless of what happens with the motion of censure, ruled out resigning.“The board and I will keep working to ensure we have the most competitive team possible,” he said.RelatedPosts Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Messi wins court case against cycling company over logo Messi scores twice in Barca friendly “We will speak again after validating the votes, but right now no one wants to quit. The club won’t stop and we will keep working, we have lots of issues to sort out.”Reuters/NAN.Tags: FC BarcelonaLionel MessiPresident Josep Maria Bartomeulast_img read more