U.S. solar industry ups 2019 installation forecast to 13.3GW

first_imgU.S. solar industry ups 2019 installation forecast to 13.3GW FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:The U.S. solar energy industry lifted its installation outlook for this year and beyond thanks to robust demand for large-scale projects by utilities buying the clean energy source for its low cost, according to a report published on Tuesday.In 2019, installations are expected to be up 25 percent from 2018 to 13.3 gigawatts, the report from the Solar Energy Industries Association and Wood Mackenzie said. The groups’ previous forecast called for 14 percent growth this year.The rosy outlook marks an about-face from 2018, when installations fell 2 percent after U.S. President Donald Trump slapped 30 percent tariffs on overseas-made solar panels.Since then, global panel prices have fallen dramatically due to an oversupply of panels in top producer China, which cut incentives for installations there. Between the first quarter of 2018 and the first quarter of 2019, monocrystalline module prices fell 30 percent, according to the report, effectively canceling out the U.S. tariffs.Looking ahead, the industry lifted its five-year outlook by 5.1 GW, or about 9 percent, mostly due to new procurement by utilities in Florida including NextEra Energy Inc’s FPL and Duke Energy Corp.Florida is expected to be the top state for utility-scale solar over the next six years, the report said, marking a major shift away from the industry’s historical center of power, California.Wood Mackenzie senior analyst Austin Perea said the shift was notable because Florida lacks the strong policy support for renewable energy that exists in California. Utilities in Florida, therefore, are buying solar because it is cheap compared with fossil fuel alternatives like natural gas and coal.More: U.S. solar installation outlook brightens on falling costs: reportlast_img read more

Pedestrian Seriously Injured in Commack

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 56-year-old Dix Hills man walking in Commack early Saturday morning was seriously injured after being struck by a van, Suffolk County police said. Mehmet Aydin was walking westbound on Veterans Memorial Highway near the Sunken Meadow Parkway at 1:20 a.m. when he was struck by a 2003 Chevrolet van traveling in the same direction, police said. Aydin is being treated for serious injuries at Stony Brook University Hospital, police said. The driver of the van, a Massapequa man, was not injured. The van was impounded for a safety check and the investigation is continuing, police said. Detectives ask anyone with information to call the Fourth Squad at 631-854-8452.last_img

The CU lagniappe and Baby Bea

first_imgI don’t know about you, but some days it’s hard not to let political nastiness and cultural polarization get me down. If it weren’t for important connections, I’d probably unplug from most social media – but I hang in there, and I’m glad that I do. Somewhere between posts from the angry right and the outraged left, there are happy things that –if we’re looking for them – can lift us up.  Here are a couple of recent experiences that lifted me up, made me smile, and helped me remember that there is a lot of good in the world.Mrs. BettyTwo weeks ago, I found myself with the Magnolia Federal Credit Union team facilitating their strategic planning meeting on the Gulf Coast. If you spend any time at all in credit union social media circles, you know MFCU’s CEO Michael Waylett. As you can imagine, there were a lot of great strategic conversations and some deep laughs. During our planning meeting, I met Mrs. Betty, MFCU’s energetic Board Chair. Mrs. Betty went out of her way to make me feel welcome, and took great care to share her perspective on what makes MFCU different (and better). During our vision and mission conversation, Mrs. Betty didn’t miss a beat when she explained her belief that MFCU existed, “to create a little more good in the world.”Mrs. Betty’s comments resonated with me, and they lifted me up. I believe that when credit unions are at their best, they are creating a little more good in the world. I get to watch as so many of our credit union clients pursue inspiring community development missions focused on making the lives of their members, employees, and their communities a better place.Later that evening, our group dinner was at the restaurant Louisiana Lagniappe. I had never heard the word “lagniappe” before. Mrs. Betty explained that the word means, “giving a little extra.” How perfect! Lagniappe perfectly describes MFCU’s philosophy of giving a little extra to create a little more good in its part of the world. During our two days together, l learned firsthand all the extra things MFCU’s team does to make the lives of its members and the communities it serve a much better place.My time with MFCU energized me and reminded me that in a world that can’t seem to get along, there’s a lot of good out there. The great examples of selfless service are inspiring and as credit union people, we need to share more of the good that we do.Baby Bea YoungAnother moment that recently shifted my attention away from the finger pointing and shaming on social media was the picture of Robbie Young (Director of Partner Relations at CUinsight.com) introducing her Baby Bea to her extensive credit union family. That picture of Robbie and Baby Bea at the pinnacle of happiness – well it just made me smile and remember that there’s abundant joy to be found in the world, we just need to look for it and savor it when we find it.Why it mattersWhen it comes to feeling inundated with negativity, I don’t think I’m alone. Some people (I wish there were more) are tired of the vitriol and are looking to find something uplifting. Credit union marketers might consider what their members (and potential members) are having to read through daily on social media, and consider adding content feeds that will help people smile, laugh, or lift their spirits. This is an amazing time for credit union people to fill social media feeds with happy and inspiring news.I’m with Mrs. Betty, let’s each try to make a little more good in the world. Scott is the Principal of Your Credit Union Partner, PLLC.Your Credit Union Partner (YCUP) is a trusted advisor to the leaders of more than 100 credit unions located throughout … Web: www.yourcupartner.org Details 40SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Scott Butterfieldlast_img read more

Police charge woman in boyfriend’s homicide

first_imgSUSQUEHANNA COUNTY, Pa (WBNG) — Pennsylvania State Police have charged an Oakland Township woman with criminal homicide after claiming she shot and killed her boyfriend in the late evening hours of July 29. She claimed she found Whitmire had been shot and she grabbed the victim’s gun sitting on a table next to the bed. As the interview continued, Pizarro claimed Whitmire “became possessive” as their relationship continued. When she told Whitmire she did not want to have sex, the two got into an argument. Troopers then began to clear the home when they found Whitmire lying in the upstairs bedroom. They also discovered a silver Kimber .45 handgun at the foot of the bed, along with a rifle along the side of the bed. She told investigators she planned to sleep on the first floor and grabbed a handgun for protection. As she tried to walk around the bed, she said Whitmire grabbed her arm while facing away from her. She stated she was able to break free when “she stepped back and pulled the trigger of the gun and shot him once in the back of the head.” According to the affidavit, Pizarro claimed she “ran downstairs as she felt whoever shot the victim might still be in the house”. Four hours after the shooting, troopers interviewed Pizarro again at PSP-Gibson. During the interview, Pizarro repeated many of the details she first told them about during the interview on the porch. The affidavit stated Pizarro eventually admitted to firing a single gunshot to the back of the victim’s head after an argument over sex. According to court documents, PSP charged Lucy Pizarro, 52, with the homicide of Terrence Whitmire. Troopers found his body while responding to a 911 call regarding a shooting on Turnpike Street in the Oakland Township of Susquehanna County. Later on the morning of July 30, troopers conducted a search warrant of the home, where they seized multiple pieces of evidence, including the Kimber .45 handgun at the foot of the bed, along with fibers from the gun’s muzzle.center_img Two hours after responding to the home, investigators interviewed Pizarro on the front porch. She explained that she and Whitmore were watching TV when he started to fall asleep. She claimed she decided to take the dog outside to use the bathroom. After coming back inside with the dog, she went into the downstairs bathroom when she heard a “poof”. Troopers reported she “immediately went downstairs and called 911”.Susquehanna County District Attorney Marion O’Malley approved of the charges of criminal homicide. She then called 911, according to police reports. State troopers arrived at the home just after 11 p.m. for reports of a shooting. When they arrived, they found Pizarro “standing in the doorway waving them down.” Troopers stated she was holding a silver handgun at the time. Shortly after 6 p.m. on July 30, troopers interviewed Pizarro for a third time, where the continued to deny shooting Whitmire. Troopers ordered her to drop the gun and she “immediately complied.” Nearly 13 hours after responding to the shooting, troopers conducted a “body warrant” on Pizarro. Trooper Brian Stanco “performed a preliminary GSR on the defendant’s clothing utilizing the Foster and Freeman crime-lite 42S”, which “produced a preliminary positive for GSR on the defendant’s white shirt”. While speaking with investigators, she stated her neighbors had been “illegally listening” and “harassing” the couple.last_img read more

Canada finishes probe of 9th BSE case

first_img The bull was born on the farm, and its birth and feed cohort consisted of 593 animals. Investigators had traced 518 of the cohort so far and hoped to finish tracing the remaining 75 animals by the end of March. Fifty-seven of the animals remaining on the farm were under quarantine until officials decide when to destroy them, the report said. Their carcasses will be excluded from the food and feed chains. Apr 4, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Canada recently released a report on the investigation of its ninth case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or mad cow disease, the first case of 2007. The animal’s carcass was transferred to the Alberta Agriculture and Food laboratory, where it was burned. The report said none of it entered the human food supply or animal feed chain. Canadian officials said the latest BSE case is not unexpected and still reflects an extremely low level of BSE in the country. Of 150,000 cattle tested since 2003, only 9 have tested positive for BSE, the report noted. In a study of the feed the animal was exposed to on the farm, officials found no direct link between specific products or production practices that carried a risk of cross-contamination. However, they found that the bull was exposed to feed from facilities that have handled material banned from cattle feed.center_img The United States banned imports of Canadian cattle and beef after Canada’s first BSE case in May 2003. The border was reopened to boneless beef from young cattle a few months later, but live cattle were banned until July 2005, when officials reopened the border to cattle intended for slaughter before reaching 30 months of age. The agency said the bull died sometime between Jan 20 and 22 after becoming emaciated over the course of the winter. A private veterinarian determined the bull met the inclusion criteria for Canada’s National BSE Surveillance Program, and forwarded brain samples for testing. BSE was confirmed on Feb 7 at the National BSE Reference Laboratory in Lethbridge, Alberta. The case was in a 79-month-old bull from an Alberta beef farm, according to an investigation report released Mar 26 by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The bull was born in 2000, about 3 years after Canada banned the use of cattle protein in feed for cattle and other ruminants in 1997. These facilities were supplied by the same rendering plant that has been identified in previous BSE probes, the report said. It also said investigators could not rule out the possibility of cross-contamination when the feed was transported.last_img read more

Fortress takes control of outsourcing firm Mapeley

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

DB boosts security

first_imgIN AN attempt to tackle the problem of graffiti and vandalism affecting trains and stations in parts of Germany, DB is installing video cameras and other security equipment at Dortmund, Essen, Düsseldorf and Klast_img

Ron Hay: Momentous shift a loss for us all

first_imgNZ Herald 25 Feb 2013Ron Hay says the proposed law change redefining ‘marriage’ will have deep implications for society.…The proposed legislative change, however, is no light thing. To change the meaning of the primary relationship in adult life and the foundation stone of all human societies is momentous. For more than two millennia Western society has defined marriage as the lifelong union of one man and one woman. While some societies took longer than others to move from polygamy to monogamy, the complementarity of the two sexes has been seen as of the essence of marriage in every age and culture.Even societies notably tolerant or even encouraging of homosexual relations, such as ancient Greece, never contemplated equating such relationships with marriage.Redefining marriage to include same-sex unions is to turn our back as a nation not only on our own cultural heritage, but also on the legacy of wisdom from every age and from every society as to what makes for human wellbeing.Proponents of the change say there is no intention in this legislation to down-value heterosexual marriage and its linkage to the nurture of children. The good of marriage is simply being extended to homosexual couples as well. And therein lies the major problem. Marriage is not just being stretched, it is being redefined, and with that comes major loss.What is happening is not the creation of a new all-inclusive term to embrace both heterosexual and same-sex unions.Instead, the two types of relationship, which we currently distinguish, are to be conflated under the term “marriage” which till now has applied to only one.So how will currently married couples feel when they no longer have a term which describes what is distinctive about their relationship?As British commentator Andrew Goddard points out, the force of this is at present hidden from us because we still distinguish these two relationships with qualifiers such as “same-sex”, “opposite sex” and “homosexual/heterosexual”. But the proposed legislation won’t create a new category with a new name – “same-sex marriage” as distinct from “opposite-sex marriage”. Instead, it will do away with the old category and give its name to a quite different new category – “marriage” as a new gender-blind institution. Are there good grounds for such a momentous change? The whole case for change rests on the call for equal treatment for homosexual couples. But equality under the law has already been granted with the legislation for civil unions. As this legislation was being introduced only a few years ago, a number of politicians including then Prime Minister Helen Clark assured us there was no need (or intention) to change the nature of marriage.Tim Barnett, the mover of the bill, said “The Civil Union Bill is an acceptable alternative; marriage can remain untouched.”http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10867488last_img read more

Memorial Day opener for Arnold Motor Supply Dirt Knights Tour

first_imgVINTON, Iowa – A familiar tour for IMCA Modifieds totes higher payouts at each of its eight race dates and a bigger point fund when the 2018 season is complete.The Arnold Motor Supply Dirt Knights Tour opens on Monday, May 28 at Benton County Speed­way. A minimum of $2,000 will be paid to win and $200 to start each tour feature, with the cham­pion earning a $1,500 share of the nearly $10,000 point fund.“This will be the seventh time we’ve started the tour at Vinton. The Prelude special the day before also pays $2,000 to win so it’s possible for a driver to enjoy a $4,000 Memorial Weekend at Ben­ton County Speedway,” IMCA President Brett Root said. “There’s a lot to be excited about the upcoming tour. We’ve increased the payout and point fund, a passing points format will be new and the Dirt Knights will be featured on MAVTV.”“Plus,” he added, “contingency awards will be given at each event and at the conclusion of the tour.”From Vinton, the tour travels out of state for the first time in its nine-year history, topping the card for the $10,000 to win Clash at the Creek at 141 Speedway in Francis Creek, Wis., on June 20-21.Completing the schedule are dates June 29 at Farley Speedway; July 19 at Knoxville Raceway; July 23 at Park Jefferson Speedway in Jefferson, S.D.; July 24 at Hancock County Speedway in Britt; July 25 at Buena Vista Raceway in Alta; and Aug. 6 at Clay County Fairgrounds in Spencer.“This is a pretty good schedule. The three-night swing in July is in a corner of the state that histori­cally has supported the tour very well,” noted Root. “It’s very appropriate that the final race is in Spencer, the hometown of tour title sponsor Arnold Motor Supply.”All events will be scored with MyLaps transponders. Twelve cars will qualify from heat races; ‘B’ features will be lined up by points earned in heats.After the third tour event, provisionals will be awarded to the top two qualifying drivers with perfect at­tendance, based on point standings. Promoters have the option to add track provisional(s) start­ing 25th on back.The tour ran under the Hawkeye Dirt Tour banner from 2010-2017.last_img read more

The Final Word: Syracuse men’s basketball drops another road loss, 85-68, at No. 9 North Carolina

first_img Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 16, 2017 at 11:38 pmcenter_img One of the country’s best offensive rebounding teams, No. 9 North Carolina (17-3, 5-1 Atlantic Coast), burned Syracuse down low, grabbing 18 offensive boards and totaling 20 second-chance points in its 85-68 victory over Syracuse (11-8, 3-3) on Monday night at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. SU could not avenge its 2016 Final Four loss to North Carolina from over nine months ago. Syracuse plays next on Saturday at Notre Dame.Our beat writers Connor Grossman and Matt Schneidman discuss Syracuse’s loss to North Carolina and its current state as ACC play kicks into full gear.last_img