Facebook1Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Oly Town ArtesiansThe Oly Town Artesians return to action this Saturday night when they host the Snohomish Skyhawks. First kick at The Pavilion at The Evergreen State College is set for 6:30 p.m. It’s 80’s Night as the Artesians celebrate their fifth indoor season with games, prizes, 80’s music and more. Tickets are just $8 for adults, $5 for kids 5-12, seniors and military and kids under five are free.The Artesians enter the game at 0-1-0 after dropping their season opener, 9-6, to Tacoma Narrows FC. TJ O’Connor and Nate Boatright each scored twice in the game and David Cook and Christian Segovia each added goal. Goalkeeper Ryan Perkins played the entire game and kept it nice and close but is now injured and will miss an extended period opening the door for Shelton’s Bradley Hanson to take over between the pipes.Snohomish also suffered an opening game loss, 9-4, on the road to Bellingham United. John Troka scored twice including an impressive bicycle kick goal that temporarily gave them a 2-1 lead over the Hammers. Devin Shull registered a goal and an assist in the loss for the Skyhawks but they also suffered a goalkeeper injury and had to play an emergency keeper for much of the second half.For whatever reason, Oly has historically struggled against the Skyhawks, registering just one win in six games over three seasons. Their lone win came in the last game of the 2015-2016 season, a 10-6 victory featuring goals from current Artesians Matt Stalnik and Kyle Wiese.Saturday night is the first of two December home games for the Artesians. After their game against the Skyhawks, they will travel to Bellingham on December 8th before returning to The Pavilion on December 15 to take on the Tacoma Stars Reserves at 6:30 p.m. They wrap the 2018 portion of their season with a trip to Bremerton to take on the Oly-Pen Force on December 22.Stay up to date with the Artesians by visiting the Oly Town Artesians website, following them on Twitter, and liking them on Facebook.Featured photo credit: Charis Wilson
The Nelson Neptunes have taken their show on the road.First up for the Neptunes, who have been without a home since renovations took over the Nelson and District Community Complex Pool, is Nelson’s own meet this weekend at the outdoor pool in Salmo.The meet runs Saturday and Sunday (June 25-26) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. “Despite the struggles the team has faced over the last number of years due to pool closure the team is still swimming and excited about this upcoming meet,” said a Neptune spokesperson.The Nelson meet is the first tilt on the Kootenay Summer Swim Association season with the Neptunes hosting the Grand Forks Piranhas, Colville Sharks, Trail Stingrays, Creston Wave, Castlegar Aquanauts and Kimberley Seahorses.”This is an exciting team to watch this season as even with a smaller number of swimmers they have finished in the top three at the other two A-meets so far this season, missing a first place finish in Trail by only seven points.”Nelson Neptunes are a summer swim team in the Kootenay Region of the British Columbia Summer Swimming Association. Summer swimmers are limited to two coached training hours per week from October until May.Once the summer swim season starts in May though there is no limit to the number of hours the athletes can train. Meets are held throughout the summer months across the Province and qualifying athletes compete in the BCSSA Provincial Championships in August. The Neptune’s have been in existence for approximately 50 years and this will be their 47th swim meet.
The Bong County Task Force on Ebola disclosed that it has discovered at least 50 children who have lost both parents to the Ebola virus disease in Bong County.Acquainting journalists at the office of the Bong County Health Team on the Phebe Hospital Compound yesterday, the head of the psychosocial unit of the Bong County Ebola Taskforce, Rev. G. Victor Padmore, said his statistics did not include children who lost only one parent to the disease.Rev. Padmore informed journalists the survey was conducted in communities hardest-hit by Ebola in the county, including Barkerthela, Lorcus Farm, Taylor Town, Mawah, Civil Compound and the Millionaire Quarter Community.The Lutheran prelate indicated that the orphans are between the ages of three months to 16 years old.Commenting on the condition of the orphans, the clergyman described their state as horrendous, pale. He stressed that the education of some of the children should remain the paramount concern of every Liberian and called on child-friendly organizations operating in the country to help improve the wellbeing of the children.The Lutheran cleric was quick to point out that his committee has not yet concluded findings on the number of children whose single parents died after contracting the virus.“Our assessment was carried out in communities that were affected by the Ebola virus disease,” he said.Rev. Padmore specified the communities scarcely affected by the disease are experiencing acute shortages of food because, according to him, the disease struck the communities during the peak of the farming season.He also mentioned that the communities lack safe drinking water; the local inhabitants are largely surviving on streams and creeks for drinking.“The main thing now we should be thinking of is the education of the children because they have lost both parents to the Ebola virus disease. Again they will be discriminated against and stigmatized since their parents died from Ebola” Rev. Padmore challenged.He indicated that the number of orphans may significantly increase when the psychosocial committee of the County Ebola Taskforce shall have concluded its study. He maintained that the wellbeing of orphans would be a major challenge to the County Leadership and the Government of Liberia as well as the international partners, who are in the business of the welfare of children in post-Ebola Liberia.Pastor Padmore then used the occasion to plead with the Liberian government and its partners to develop programs that will support and recover the disadvantaged orphans from their present state.The psychosocial committee Chairman pointed out that most of the orphans have been discriminated and stigmatized by their peers because their parents were killed by Ebola, something he said remains a key concern after Ebola is eliminated from the country.Rev. Padmore told journalists, he observed that children whose parents died from the virus were separated from kids whose parents were not affected by the virus during play.The Liberian cleric reiterated his calls for more attention to be given to the orphans by the Government of Liberia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Australian vineyard claims a first with wine specifically blended for aircraft consumptionAn Australian vineyard believes it has achieved a first by specifically blending a wine to be drunk while an aircraft is in cruise at 38,000ft.Depending on the aircraft, cabin pressure at that altitude is between 6000ft and 8000ft above sea level and combines with the low humidity to affect the taste buds.Airlines for some time have designed food to take into account the impact of lower cabin pressure and also select wines with this in mind.But St Hallett, from Australia’s Barossa Valley region, and Virgin Australia have taken this a step further to blend a wine specifically for consumption at high altitude.Virgin worked with St Hallett winemaker Shelley Cox to produce a shiraz the partners say delivers balanced acidity and texture when consumed in the air.The wine, made from grapes from the Barossa and Eden valleys, was also designed to complement the meals offered in the Virgin’s award-winning business class by chef Luke Mangan.Read: Virgin Australia takes out major industry awards.“The drier air in the cabin can make it hard to really capture a wine’s aroma,’’ Cox said. “This is where the Eden Valley component comes in.“The higher altitude of the Eden Valley means cooler conditions and creates Shiraz with lovely overt floral aromas. You only need a small component to really lift a whole blend.“We played around with a lot of different options to ensure the acid and texture balance was right. It was a great experience and we are confident the wine will deliver in both taste and aroma on the plane at altitude.”The wine, labelled The Duo, is already on board Virgin Australia aircraft and in the carrier’s lounges.
13 June 2012 South African fruit will be exported to Thailand following the establishment of a new market, the Department of Agriculture announced on Monday.The agreement came after 14 years of negotiations, spokeswoman Piwe Mbiko said.“The availability of an additional export market such as this holds economic benefits in terms of the income generated as well as the potential for further growth and job creation,” Mbiko said.Mbiko said citrus fruit destined for the Asian country included sweet orange (citrus sinensis), mandarin (citrus reticulata), lemon (citrus limon) and grapefruit (citrus paradisi).“Fruit types to be exported to the Kingdom of Thailand must be produced in and sourced from commercial orchards that have been registered with and pre-approved by the department,” Mbiko added.Registered orchards participating in the programme will be expected to implement good agricultural practices to ensure that listed quarantine pests of concern to the Thai market are effectively managed.Mbiko said that, as a precautionary measure, mandatory sanitary treatment for false codling moth, Mediterranean fruit fly and Natal fruit fly would be conducted on the produce before it was exported.Sapa
University of the Philippines head coach Bo Perasol admitted that the missed 8-second violation late in the fourth quarter of the Fighting Maroons loss to the Ateneo Blue Eagles was crucial.ADVERTISEMENT “We have to find a way how we can play through that, but then again, I’m hoping the officials will do a better job [because] we’re exerting effort to win.” The referees failed to call an 8-second infraction on Ateneo point guard Jolo Mendoza, who fell just before crossing center court near the four-minute mark with the game tied at 79.Instead, UP playmaker Jun Manzo was whistled for a foul.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutIt was an obvious head-scratcher but Perasol isn’t the type to cry over spilled milk.“It was really [crucial]. But it happens and I can’t delve on that,” Perasol told reporters after the Maroons’ 96-82 loss. “It’s something they’ve decided on and they can’t reverse that.” Read Next FEU sets record for most 3s with 18, but 42 attempts ‘way too much’ QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles03:07Robredo to ICAD: Let’s go beyond our diefferences00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH
Juventus coach Max Allegri: Being Winter Champions importantby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJuventus coach Max Allegri was delighted with a crucial win over AS Roma.Mario Mandzukic struck the only goal of the game.“We’re Winter Champions, but we haven’t really won anything yet,” Allegri told DAZN.“We are doing some good things, we’re in the Champions League Round of 16, but the important thing is to have a good buffer from Napoli in second place.“It was a good game, we remained organised when under pressure, Robin Olsen made some fine saves and we played well.“We had to cause Roma problems and put the pressure on them straight away, as it’s a psychologically fragile side. We should’ve done more after going 1-0 up, as they were really struggling.“Roma had more possession in the second half, but we didn’t really allow them any chances. I’d say it was a deserved victory.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Everton boss Silva admits he wants January centre-back signingby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton boss Marco Silva is seeking a centre-back signing in January.The Liverpool Echo says the Blues have started the season with only three senior defenders in that position after the failure to land a replacement for Phil Jagielka.Jagielka was released at the end of his contract in the summer and went onto to rejoin old club Sheffield United.When asked if he has held conversations with director of football Marcel Brands about signing a centre-back in January, Silva said: “Even if you don’t speak about that every week, it is normal we have chats about it and, of course, you are always looking. “It is my job and the job of Marcel also and now he is doing his job, analysing everything.”We will see, and what we can do to strengthen our squad will do in January, if you can, or next season again.”
TORONTO — The first of 17 remote First Nations has been connected to Ontario’s power grid under a $1.6-billion expansion project.The diesel generating station in Pikangikum First Nation, more than 200 kilometres north of Kenora, Ont., was shut down Thursday as the transmission lines to the provincial grid were energized.The work is part of the Wataynikaneyap Power Transmission Line Project launched in 2015, which will connect remote communities to the grid over an 1,800-kilometre transmission line.Nishnawbe Aski Nation Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler called the connection an “enormous achievement.“A reliable power source will finally end Pikangikum’s reliance on diesel generation and help the community advance plans for growth and development,” he said in a statement Thursday.The full project is expected to be completed by 2023, and will shift the communities from dependence on diesel fuel for power to the provincial electricity grid.“Connecting our remote communities to the provincial grid is better for the environment and will help improve the lives of our members,” Fiddler said.A 2014 study by Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator determined there was a positive business case to extend the electricity grid to 21 of the 25 First Nations that depend on diesel.The federal government is covering the cost of the project.When the plan to build the line was announced, it was billed as the largest Indigenous-led and Indigenous-owned infrastructure project in the province’s history.Wataynikaneyap Power, which is heading up the project, is a licensed transmission company that is equally owned by 22 First Nation communities in partnership with power company Fortis.Ontario Energy Minister Greg Rickford said access to reliable and affordable electricity will help Pikangikum connect to greater economic opportunities.“This transformational project is expected to provide more than 14,000 people living in remote First Nation communities in northwestern Ontario with a reliable, clean supply of electricity,” he said in a statement.“It’s also bringing something even more significant — the promise of a brighter future.”The Canadian Press
Burnley Manager Sean Dyche is facing an uphill battle in Turkey as his team prepares to face Istanbul Basaksehir with just 17 players in their UEFA Europa League qualifier clash.After overcoming Scottish side Aberdeen in the last qualifying round, Burnley will be hoping to continue their first European adventure in 52 years when they come against Turkey’s Istanbul Basaksehir.The Turkish team finished third in the Super Lig last season and could provide a sterner test for Burnley on Thursday in the first leg with a number of players injured for the English side.“We’re a little bit limited in terms of our playing personnel,” Dyche told reporters ahead of the game on Thursday, according to Sky Sports.“Chris Woods is suffering from an infection, while Steven Defour and Robbie Brady still remain out with injury. So at the moment we’re down to just 17 players.”Match Preview: Burnley vs Liverpool Boro Tanchev – August 30, 2019 Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to Burnley for the Matchday 4 of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign.“We’ve included Ben Gibson and Joe Hart in the squad and they could feature if needed.”Burnley are currently in the middle of a goalkeeping crisis with Tom Heaton and Nick Pope out injured and Hart could feature for the Clarets after completing a surprise move to the club from Manchester City.“He’s in good shape and clear minded. He knows he’ll have to work for his place in the team and I believe he’s up to the challenge.” Dyche said.Burnley will also be without new signing Matej Vydra who joined the club from Derby this week.The striker is still working on his fitness due to a lack of preseason with his former club.