Ohio police officer charged with murder in Andre Hill death

first_img WhatsApp Twitter Facebook TAGS  WhatsApp Pinterest FILE – Andre Hill, fatally shot by Columbus police on Dec. 22, is memorialized on a shirt worn by his daughter, Karissa Hill, on Thursday, Dec. 31, 2020, in Columbus, Ohio. A white Ohio police officer was indicted Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021 on murder charges in the December shooting death of 47-year-old Andre Hill. Columbus Police Officer Adam Coy was indicted by a Franklin County grand jury on Wednesday following an investigation by the Ohio Attorney General’s office. Local NewsUS Newscenter_img By Digital AIM Web Support – February 3, 2021 Ohio police officer charged with murder in Andre Hill death Pinterest Twitter Facebook Previous articleGlobal Point-of-care Ultrasound Systems Market 2020-2024: Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats – TechnavioNext articleIPA Increases Previously Announced Bought Deal Offering of Common Shares to $21.7 Million Digital AIM Web Supportlast_img read more

Real Estate Professionals Optimistic About Homeownership Comeback

first_img About Author: Tory Barringer in Daily Dose, Featured, Market Studies, News The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Related Articles First-Time Homebuyers Millennials National Association of Realtors National Housing Conference Realtor.com 2014-11-10 Tory Barringer Share Save  Print This Post Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Subscribe Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days agocenter_img Home / Daily Dose / Real Estate Professionals Optimistic About Homeownership Comeback As the share of first-time homebuyers hovers at its lowest level in nearly three decades, real estate professionals remain optimistic that homeownership is due for a comeback.In a panel at the 2014 Realtors Conference and Expo, experts discussed the changing face of American homebuyers and the potential effects of these changes on the housing market.”Among primary residence homebuyers, the demographics have shifted dramatically, especially among first-time homebuyers, whose share of the market has dropped to its lowest level in decades,” said Jessica Lautz, panelist and director of member and consumer survey research for the National Association of Realtors (NAR). “We have also seen an increase in the median age and income of the average buyer, as well as in multigenerational household formations as adult children and elderly family members move back in with their families.”One of the biggest topics for the panel was the state of millennial homeownership. While inventory shortages, tight credit access, and lower than average salaries have made for a bleak picture for young adults, the speakers largely agreed that these represent temporary setbacks as the economy makes its way to stable ground.”It’s not that young people don’t want to purchase homes, it’s that they are delaying the purchase,” said Lisa Sturtevant, VP of research for the National Housing Conference. “Many of the reasons millennials are not forming households or making purchases are economic, so as the economy improves, we should see this group become more of a force in the housing market.”Jonathan Smoke, chief economist for Realtor.com, agreed, adding that members of Gen Y accounted for 37 percent of home shoppers over the summer and are expected to make up two-thirds of household formations in the coming years. Smoke also noted that from June through September, more than half of adults between the ages of 21 and 34 visited real estate websites or mobile apps. The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Real Estate Professionals Optimistic About Homeownership Comeback Tagged with: First-Time Homebuyers Millennials National Association of Realtors National Housing Conference Realtor.com The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago November 10, 2014 1,090 Views Tory Barringer began his journalism career in early 2011, working as a writer for the University of Texas at Arlington’s student newspaper before joining the DS News team in 2012. In addition to contributing to DSNews.com, he is also the online editor for DS News’ sister publication, MReport, which focuses on mortgage banking news. Previous: Detroit Attorney Named One of DBusiness Magazine’s ’30 in Their Thirties’ Next: Las Vegas Suburb Launches Foreclosure Registry Sign up for DS News Daily Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days agolast_img read more

Prosecutors file obstruction charge against student allegedly responsible for death of LSU pledge Max Gruver

first_imgRae Ann Feldner Gruver via Facebook(NEW ORLEANS) — Prosecutors have filed new charges against the former Louisiana State University fraternity member charged with negligent homicide in the high-profile death of a pledge saying he deleted hundreds of photos and texts pertaining to the case. Max Gruver, an 18-year-old freshman at LSU, died following a night of drinking and alleged hazing at the Phi Delta Theta in September 2017. The day after Gruver died, his blood alcohol level was still .496, four times the legal limit, Stephen Gruver, Max’s father, told ABC News in December 2017. “We learned that the hospital’s gauge stops at .46, it doesn’t go any higher,” Stephen Gruver said. “And that was the next day. So that night, I’m sure it was enough to kill you.”Fraternity member Matthew Naquin has been charged with negligent homicide in Gruver’s death and is scheduled to go on trial beginning July 8. Four fraternity members, including Naquin, were charged in the wake of the death, but only he is facing accusations of felony negligent homicide.Sean-Paul Gott, 21; Patrick Forde, 21; and Ryan Isto, 19, all face hazing charges.All four have pleaded not guilty.The defense and prosecution met in a court hearing on Wednesday where the judge decided that jurors could be told Naquin deleted 700 texts and photos from his phone possibly pertaining to the case. The files were deleted on the same day, Nov. 7, 2017, that a judge approved a search warrant, which included information on Naquist’s phone.“Within minutes of his receiving a phone call from his lawyer, many, many, many items were deleted from the phone,” East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore told Baton Rouge ABC affiliate WBRZ. “It’s either coincidental or intentional, and now the items that were deleted can never be recovered.”Prosecutors announced new charges of obstruction of justice had been filed against Naquin Wednesday over the alleged deletion of evidence from his phone.The prosecution had argued for months over trying to get access to Naquin’s phone, only to find the information deleted once they finally gained access to it in March.The judge also ruled this week that Gruver’s history of alcohol use was not admissible in the trial. Naquin’s lawyer, John McLindon, had filed a motion trying to paint Gruver as a “party animal,” according to The Associated Press.The jury will be able to hear information about Gruver’s voluntary consumption of alcohol and marijuana at the party on the night he died, the judge ruled Wednesday.In an exclusive interview with ABC News in December 2017, Gruver’s mother, Rae Ann, said she believed her son was murdered, adding that “nobody can physically drink that much … you have to be forced.”“It’s senseless,” she said of the allegations that her son was forced to consume alcohol prior to his death. “I mean, how is making your brother do all these things, and humiliating somebody, a brotherhood?”“How does that bond you?” she added. “That’s what I just don’t understand. … It’s just horrific.”The Phi Delta Theta fraternity was shuttered in the wake of Gruver’s death and a new Greek Life Task Force was established. A “scorecard” on LSU’s Greek life website shows six fraternities are currently suspended or had their registration rescinded, and another five are either on probation or have been warned by the school.Nine LSU frat members were arrested in February, and several school administrators were placed on leave, after a separate hazing case at the school.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Ten years on, can Murali’s record be broken?

first_img…It has been a decade since the great off-spinner left Test cricket holding a record that may never be surpassedBy Sam FerrisTEN years ago on Wednesday, Test cricket’s greatest wicket-taker, Muthiah Muralidaran, played the last of his 133 Tests and captured the last of his 800 victims.The legendary off-spinner signed off in style, taking eight wickets in Sri Lanka’s 10-wicket win over India in Galle, exiting the game as its most prolific bowler.In the decade that has passed since the then 38-year-old walked away from Test cricket, no bowler has got close to matching his monumental tally.Of active players, England’s James Anderson is the closest to Muralidaran’s 800 wickets with 587, followed by teammate Stuart Broad (491) and Australia’s Nathan Lyon (390).Next among current players is India’s Ravichandran Ashwin with 365 wickets in 71 Tests. Ashwin holds the record for the fewest matches – 54 – to reach 300 Test wickets, ahead of champion fast bowler Dennis Lillee (56) and Muralitharan (58).Ashwin, who takes 5.14 wickets per Test, would, on paper, appear to be the best chance to overtake Murali’s mark.But with his 34th birthday less than two months away, the off-spinner would need to play another 85 Test matches. At his current average of 7.7 Tests per year, that equates to a further 11 years of Test cricket.It begs the question: Will any bowler ever pass Muralidaran’s record?Ashwin says given the wear-and-tear of playing three formats across domestic and international cricket, a crammed cricket calendar and the lure of lucrative T20 competitions around the world, nobody will catch the Sri Lankan legend.“The answer is no,” Ashwin told cricket statistician Mazher Arshad.“The cricketing landscape has changed so much over the last decade or so.“The longevity of cricketers is not the same.“For a very large part when I grew up watching the sport there used to be months when cricket was off.“Cricketers really got their off time and they were able to play three- and five-match series.  They had a longer span in the game. Nowadays basically every cricketer plays 8-10 months a year minimum.  “There’s so much cricket that’s happening that it takes a toll on your body.  At the end of the day all we need to realise is that the body is a machine. It will have its own sell-by date, it will break down.“I also think people are specialising. Test cricket is quite a hard deed and to put in the hard work that’s required, let’s say 50 cricketers are there maybe 25 cricketers are willing to do that.“It’s only natural because T20 cricket is far more rewarding financially than the other formats.”So if Ashwin can’t catch Muralidaran, is there anybody currently playing who can?Anderson, 38 next week, is the closest, but if he keeps going at the same pace (3.86 wickets per Test), he will need to play 55 more Tests to get to 801 wickets, which would take around five years and take the right-armer into his mid-40s.Broad, four years Anderson’s junior, would require another 88 Tests and another eight or nine years at the top level. Fast bowling is not kind to the body, and although both are durable, even that may be beyond the pair.Lyon, then, maybe the more most realistic chance. The off-spinner, who turns 33 this November, takes 4.1 wickets per Test and plays on average 10.6 Tests per year, so another decade in the game and another 103 matches would see the Australian break Muralidaran’s record.A lot of things need to go right for that to happen – injury, form and scheduling to name a few – but it is not out of the realms of possibility.And if Lyon falls short of Murali’s mark, Shane Warne’s Australian record of 708 remains a juicy carrot for ‘The GOAT’.Using the same formula as above, if Lyon keeps at the same pace and plays 78 more Tests, he would catch Warne somewhere around his 40th birthday.While it may seem far-fetched, Warne says Lyon can get there.“I think he is a chance,” Warne told cricket.com.au in August last year after Lyon passed Lillee’s career tally of 355 wickets.“If you do the stats – if he plays another 85 or 90 Tests, and takes four wickets per game, that’s 360 wickets – so he’ll get me.“As long as his hunger is there for the game, if he’s still enjoying the game.“I’d love to watch someone get my record, that would be fantastic because it would mean they’ve done bloody well for Australia for a long period of time.”CRICKET.com.au)last_img read more