Uber rush

first_imgLinkedin Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Facebook Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Email NewsLocal NewsUber rushBy Bernie English – August 10, 2015 1149 Twitter WhatsApp Printcenter_img ANXIOUS Limerick job seekers have sent a deluge of applications for the upcoming positions at Uber with 150 of 300 new jobs due to come on-stream by Christmas.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Uber last week announced plans to open its first centre of excellence outside the United States in the city centre.The San Francisco based car service provider said it has been overwhelmed with the response from Limerick with hundreds applying for the first 50 jobs, which are currently advertised.And the good news continues, with coffee chain Starbucks due to start its fit-out on the ground floor of the Thomas Street building this week.There are a number of other high-profile companies in the mix for the rest of the space, creating at least 100 full and part-time job opportunities.Meanwhile Finance Minister Michael Noonan said that the Hanging Gardens site in Henry Street, which is in the final stages of being acquired by Limerick City and County Council, had attracted the interest of at least three prospective investors.He said that there was a lot of confidence that it could be the location for another 250 jobs or so when it is fully developed. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Previous articleGAA – Weekend results from Limerick GAANext articlePatient files sent to outside email Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Advertisement Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads TAGSfeaturedJobslimerickuber last_img read more

While Three US Supreme Court Judges Dissenting, Execution Of Brandon Bernard Was Carried Out After 21 Years Of Crime

first_imgForeign/InternationalWhile Three US Supreme Court Judges Dissenting, Execution Of Brandon Bernard Was Carried Out After 21 Years Of Crime Shruthi Ramakrishnan11 Dec 2020 4:48 AMShare This – xThe federal government of the United States of America carried out the execution of 40-year old Brandon Bernard via lethal injection on Thursday, December 10 2020 despite wide spread call for commutation of the death sentence from human rights activists, celebrities, and a large social media campaign. Notably, five of the nine surviving jurors who originally found Bernard guilty as well…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe federal government of the United States of America carried out the execution of 40-year old Brandon Bernard via lethal injection on Thursday, December 10 2020 despite wide spread call for commutation of the death sentence from human rights activists, celebrities, and a large social media campaign. Notably, five of the nine surviving jurors who originally found Bernard guilty as well as the federal prosecutor who tried Bernard’s case also appealed for his clemency. The execution was carried out after the US Supreme Court rejected the last-minute application for stay with three justices – Justice Kagan, Justice Sotomayor, and Justice Breyer dissenting. Justice Sotomayor in her dissenting judgment emphatically stated, “Today, the Court allows the Federal Government to execute Brandon Bernard, despite Bernard’s troubling allegations that the Government secured his death sentence by withholding exculpatory evidence and knowingly eliciting false testimony against him. Bernard has never had the opportunity to test the merits of those claims in court. Now he never will.”Brandon Bernard was convicted for his role in the gang-lead abduction, robbery, and subsequent murder of a Texas couple in June 1999 when Bernard was only 18 years old. A federal court sentenced him to death despite his young age at the time of his crime, him being in the lowest rung of the gang, and not playing a leading role in the crime. Bernard, in fact, is only barely eligible for capital sentence after the US Supreme Court in Roper v. Simmons made it unconstitutional to impose the capital punishment for offences committed by persons who were below 18 years of age. The execution is particularly troubling in light of the vast advancements in brain science made in the 20-years since the imposition of Bernard’s sentence, which has brought to light the still-developing nature of the adolescent brain; the impact of peer groups on adolescents; and their much lower ability to evaluate risk and consequences, and the increased possibilities of reforms in comparison to offenders above the age of 25. The Centre for Law, Brain, and Behaviour (affiliated to the Massachusetts General Hospital, the Harvard Law School, and the Harvard Medical School) explains that “[t]hey [teenagers] can often recognize risks, but incomplete development of brain mechanisms related to modulation of impulsive behavior reduces their tendency to heed those risks.”The execution of Bernard marks the rare execution carried out in the transition period with only a little over a month left until the lapse of the Trump Government. An execution is such transition period has not been carried out in the last 130 years in the United States. The death penalty is legal in 30 US states and a temporary hiatus imposed on federal executions was broken by the Trump government which has now carried out nine federal executions in the year 2020 after a 17-year gap. The government has further five executions scheduled in the short time left of the Trump presidency and despite the still-raging pandemic in the US. According to Amnesty International, the US is one of the 20 odd countries still carrying out death sentences while around 142 nations have either abolished the death penalty by law or have ceased to use it in practice.(Shruthi Ramakrishnan is an independent legal consultant working in the field of human rights.)Next Storylast_img read more

Covid ‘outbreak’ at Letterkenny University Hospitals Maternity Dept

first_img Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Homepage BannerNews Facebook Twitter Covid ‘outbreak’ at Letterkenny University Hospitals Maternity Dept By News Highland – April 14, 2021 Previous article‘Utterly appalling’ – appeal on overnight shooting in DerryNext articleBreaking: Gardaí seize €21,000 worth of suspected cocaine in Lifford News Highland Google+ It’s been confirmed that Letterkenny University Hospital is currently dealing with a Covid-19 outbreak in its Maternity Department.An outbreak in a healthcare setting is called when there are two or more positive contacts.In accordance with the Health Protection Surveillance Centre guidelines, an Outbreak Control Team has been convened at Letterkenny University Hospital and is working with Public Health and Occupational Health to manage the response to the outbreak.COVID-19 testing and contact tracing of both staff and patients has been carried out to ensure the protection of public health.A number of patients who have recently been discharged from the maternity department have also been contacted, as a precautionary measure, with advice on self-isolating and contacting their GP for a COVID-19 test.Saolta cannot comment on individual cases to protect the privacy and confidentiality of those affected. Twitter Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Google+center_img WhatsApp WhatsApp Pinterest Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Pinterest RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens furtherlast_img read more

Washington Redskins, under pressure from corporate sponsors, reviewing name

first_img Written by July 3, 2020 /Sports News – National Washington Redskins, under pressure from corporate sponsors, reviewing name Beau Lundcenter_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPhil Ellsworth / ESPN ImagesBy LAUREN LANTRY, ABC News(ASHBURN, Va.) — The Washington Redskins announced Friday that the NFL football team will be “undergoing a thorough review of the team name” that Native Americans have long objected to as racially offensive.In a statement, the team said the review “formalizes the initial discussions the team has been having with the league in recent weeks.”It said it was doing so “in light of recent events around our country and feedback from our community.”Previously, team owner Daniel Synder has said the team would never change its name, claiming it actually honored Native Americans.But in just the past day or so, the team has come under heavy pressure from corporate sponsors to change the name, including from FedEx, which own the naming rights to the stadium where the Washington team plays in Landover, Maryland.“We have communicated to the team in Washington our request that they change the team name,” FedEx said in a short statement Thursday and on Thursday night Nike appeared to have removed Redskins merchandise available for sale online.“This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community it is proud to represent on and off the field,” Snyder is quoted as saying in the statement.NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement, “In the last few weeks, we have had ongoing discussions with Dan, and we are supportive of this important step,” according to NFL.com.The new coach, Ron Rivera, is quoted in the team statement as saying, “This issue is of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Dan Synder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our Military.”“We believe this review can and will be conducted with the best interest of all in mind,” the statement concludes.Just last week, a memorial to the team’s founder, George Preston Marshall, an ardent segregationist. was removed from the team’s previous home field, RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has said any desire the team had to move back to that site or elsewhere in the city would face opposition because of the current name.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more