YouTube unblocked after withdrawal of videos insulting Ataturk

first_img News March 9, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 YouTube unblocked after withdrawal of videos insulting Ataturk News Follow the news on Turkey Receive email alerts News —————Court blocks access to YouTube because of videos “insulting” AtaturkAn Istanbul court yesterday ordered Internet Service Providers to block access to the US video-sharing website Youtube because of content deemed insulting to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern Turkish state. After the site agreed to remove the offending videos, the same court lifted the order (but it was still blocked at 1515 GMT today).Reporters Without Borders said it viewed the court order blocking YouTube as disproportionate, pointing out that other countries such as Brazil and Iran have adopted this kind of measure in the past.“Blocking all access to a video-sharing site because of a few videos that are considered offensive is a radical and inappropriate measure,” the press freedom organisation said. “We hope the Turkish courts will behave with moderation, especially as regards presumed attacks on Turkish identity, as this kind of censorship will just exacerbate the tension surrounding the identity issue.”The court order was implemented by Turkey’s leading ISP, Turk Telecom, which immediately blocked the site. “We are not in a position to say if the YouTube video was insulting, we just respect the court’s decision,” the head of the company, Paul Doany, said. Reporters Without Borders verified that the site was still inaccessible in Turkey at 1515 GMT today.In some of the offending videos, Ataturk and the Turkish people were referred to as homosexuals. In others, insults had been affixed to the Turkish flag and Ataturk’s portrait. They may have been posted as part of a “virtual war” between Turkish and Greek nationalists. Thousands of emails were reportedly sent to YouTube by Turkish Internet users protesting against the videos. Insulting Ataturk is punishable by imprisonment in Turkey.Iran’s leading ISPs have been blocking access to YouTube since December because of “immoral” content. In January, a Brazilian court ordered the site blocked because of a video considered defamatory by a leading Brazilian fashion model. The blocking lasted just a few days.——————-Read our weekly “blog review” and create your blog with Reporters without borders: www.rsfblog.org TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Organisation News Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law TurkeyEurope – Central Asia RSF_en Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit to go further Help by sharing this information Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor April 28, 2021 Find out more April 2, 2021 Find out more The court order blocking access to YouTube was lifted today, and Reporters Without Borders has confirmed that the video-sharing website is once again accessible from within Turkey. Access was blocked on 7 March after the posting of videos that insulted Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the Turkish republic. April 2, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Two Limerick councillors and former TD in hunt for Seanad seat

first_imgPredictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival NewsTwo Limerick councillors and former TD in hunt for Seanad seatBy Staff Reporter – March 11, 2016 752 Previous articleGardai investigating circumstances of fatal Limerick road traffic crashNext articleLimerick politician calls for Ministerial intervention over Dublin airport advertising blitz Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Linkedin Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clashcenter_img Facebook TAGSJohn SheahanKieran O’DonnelllimerickMaria ByrneSeanad WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Cllr Maria ByrneLIMERICK Fine Gael councillors Maria Byrne and John Sheahan are seeking election for Seanad seats it has emerged this week.Ms Byrne has been nominated for the Agricultural Panel by the Irish Greyhound Owners and Breeders Federation, it is understood.Following the closure of nominations next week, the campaign will take nominees around the country to seek support.Familiar with running a Seanad seat campaign, Cllr Byrne narrowly missed out on a 2007 seat when she lost by a single vote.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In 2011, the Fine gael cllr did not seek the nomination as she was the sitting Mayor for Limerick.A notice posted on the gates of Leinster House as the 32nd Dail sat for its first session revealed that Cllr John Sheahan was seeking also Seanad seat.In 2011, the Newcastle West councillor contested both the General Election for the newly-formed North Kerry Limerick West constituency, where he polled more than 6,200 first preferences, as well as the Seanad election.Voting is by postal ballot and the count will take place at the end of April.Former Fine Gael TD, Kieran O’Donnell who was defeated in the most recent General Election was this week put forward by the Limerick branch for consideration at a national committee meeting after all nominations are [email protected] Print Twitter Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Advertisementlast_img read more

Prosecuting human traffickers poses significant challenges, top prosecutor says

first_imgiStock(NEW YORK) — More than 100 child sex trafficking victims were rescued across the U.S. last month in an effort code-named Operation Independence Day that involved sweeps in Las Vegas, Atlanta and Seattle and resulted in 67 arrests.One such case that won’t be prosecuted is that of former disgraced financier Jefferey Epstein, who authorities said died of suicide in his jail cell on Saturday. Epstein was charged with human trafficking, among other things, by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.U.S. Attorney General William Barr has said that such cases are a priority, sex trafficking crimes are uniquely difficult to prosecute.According to the Department of Justice, the law defines human trafficking as “the act of compelling or coercing a person’s labor, services, or commercial sex acts. The coercion can be subtle or overt, physical or psychological, but it must be used to coerce a victim into performing labor, services, or commercial sex acts.”Hilary Axam, a top prosecutor with the Human Trafficking Institute at the Department of Justice, said that it is hard to prove that that the victim was indeed being trafficked against the victim’s will, because it requires getting into the victim’s mind.“You have to prove the victim’s state of mind,” Axam said at a Police Executive Research Forum conference in Washington this week. “It’s a heavy burden of proof.”In some cases, it is hard to meet that burden so prosecutors will charge someone suspected of human trafficking with something seemingly unrelated to that offense, such as a firearms charge.Prosecutors often also work closely with the Department of Labor, which has sworn law enforcement officers that look into Visa fraud. According to a report produced by Polaris, a top human trafficking research group, traffickers often commit Visa fraud as part of their scheme.Trafficking can be lucrative and those involved often finds ways to be nimble to elude law enforcement. For example, massage parlors that are shut down by law enforcement might open again under a different name but with the same connection to a human trafficking business, according to trafficking expert Kimberly Mehlman-Orozco.According to Polaris, there are over 9,000 illicit massage businesses in the U.S. that generate revenues around $2.5 billion.The July operation involved more than 400 law enforcement agencies, and agents set up fake dates in order to identify possible victims, according to the FBI.Agents relied on intelligence from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) to identify young runaways, missing kids and juveniles.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more