Turkey: RSF condemns journalist’s “insane” 27-year jail sentence

first_img Follow the news on Turkey Receive email alerts Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit The prosecution had requested up to 35 years in prison for Dündar, the Cumhuriyet daily newspaper’s former editor, who now lives in self-imposed exile in Germany. RSF_en News to go further Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns today’s insane decision by a Turkish court to sentence the well-known journalist Can Dündar to more than 27 years in prison on charges of spying and abetting a terrorist organization, and calls on the judicial authorities to quash this conviction. Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor “This insane and shocking decision confirms that President Erdogan’s regime is unable to halt its headlong flight into ever-greater authoritarianism,” RSF editor-in-chief Pauline Adès-Mével said. “More than any other case, it shows the degree to which journalists are subjected to judicial persecution in Turkey. Even if Can Dündar now lives freely in Germany, we call for this eminent journalist’s conviction to be overturned.” News After appearing in court on 6 May 2016 on various charges including “support for a terrorist organization,” Dündar narrowly escaped an armed attack as he left the court building in the Istanbul district of Caglayan. The light sentence passed on his assailant (10 months in prison) convinced Dündar that he should leave Turkey. Turkish journalist and former chief editor of the Turkish daily newspaper Cumhuriyet Can Dundar on October 6, 2020/AFP Dündar’s judicial problems began in 2015, when Cumhuriyet published a story headlined “İşte Erdoğan’ın yok dediği silahlar” (“Here are the weapons that Erdogan said do not exist”). It was accompanied by photos and videos that showed that Turkish intelligence was helping to supplies weapons to Islamist groups in Turkey. December 23, 2020 Turkey: RSF condemns journalist’s “insane” 27-year jail sentence April 2, 2021 Find out more Turkey is ranked 154th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan responded by threatening him on the air on the state TV channel TRT: “The person who wrote that exclusive article will pay dearly. I won’t let him get away with it.” Help by sharing this information Organisation In March 2018, Turkey’s Court of Cassation overturned the verdict that had been issued in Dündar’s trial in 2016 and called for a retrial, with “espionage” to be included in the charge. Gül was acquitted. The retrial began in Istanbul in April 2019, resulting in today’s verdict and sentences. TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Protecting journalists ImprisonedExiled mediaJudicial harassmentRSF Prize News News In Germany, Dündar founded the Turkish-language news website Özgürüz (“We are free”). He is now also a member of the International Commission of the (RSF-launched) Information and Democracy Initiative. April 28, 2021 Find out more TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Protecting journalists ImprisonedExiled mediaJudicial harassmentRSF Prize Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns today’s insane decision by a Turkish court tosentence the well-known journalist Can Dündar to more than 27 years in prison on charges ofspying and abetting a terrorist organization, and calls on the judicial authorities to quash thisconviction. Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law Dündar was jailed in November 2015 on charges of “obtaining and disseminating classified state information for the purpose of political or military espionage” and “support for an armed terrorist organization without being a member.” After three months in prison, he was released on the basis of a ruling by the Constitutional Court, which said his arrest was unconstitutional. The trial of Dündar and Cumhuriyet’s Ankara bureau chief, Erdem Gül, began in March 2016. April 2, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

New record for patients on hospital trolleys

first_imgLinkedin Email WhatsApp Facebook University Hospital LimerickA RECORD high for the number of patients waiting on trolleys at University Hospital Limerick (UHL) was set this week, when figures from the INMO showed there were 70 admitted patients waiting for a bed.This is the highest number since the nursing union began counting the numbers of waiting patients. On Tuesday, 46 people were on trolleys in the Emergency Department and a further 24 were waiting for an in-patient bed in overflow wards.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The numbers had decreased to 64 during the week.Limerick Labour TD Jan O’Sullivan said she is “calling for funding to open all available beds in hospitals in the region, for extra step-down beds where they can be provided and for additional Home Care Packages. It needs an urgent interim response from Government.”“No other region has the pressure we have and all other regions are better resourced for the populations they serve”.In a statement, hospital management said “UL Hospitals Group sincerely regrets that any patient has to face long waits in our emergency department.“The emergency department at UHL is one of the busiest in the country and the numbers presenting continue to increase year on year. Attendances to the end of December 2018 were 72,037 – an increase of 6.2 percent on 2017.The statement said the emergency department was exceptionally busy in recent days.“In the week between Monday, February 18 and Sunday, February 24, a total of 1,453 presented to the emergency department. In the 24-hour period to midnight on Monday, February 25, a total of 210 people attended the Emergency Department. We continue to see high volumes of frail elderly with complex medical conditions and regret that anyone faces long wait times while we prioritise the sickest patients. The Department is also seeing high volumes of surgical patients at present.“We are again asking members of the public to please consider all their care options before presenting to the emergency department at UHL.Injury units in Ennis and Nenagh are open from 8am to 8pm, and St John’s is open from 8am to 6pm for the treatment of broken bones, dislocations, sprains strains, wounds, scalds and minor burns.“UHL has just over 450 inpatient beds; this is recognised as not being sufficient for the needs of the Mid West Region. The Group welcomes the commitment to increasing bed capacity at the hospital,” the statement concluded. Printcenter_img Previous articleAfternoon delight with Finghin CollinsNext articleCity hosts flowers for Magdalenes event Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. NewsHealthNew record for patients on hospital trolleysBy Bernie English – March 2, 2019 1355 Twitter Advertisementlast_img read more

Driver tests positive for Cannabis in Letterkenny

first_img Google+ As part of a multi-agency checkpoint, a driver stopped by the Letterkenny Roads Policing unit tested positive for cannabis following a roadside drug test.The Audi car was seized as it was found to have no tax.Customs officers confirmed that the vehicle was also found to be running on green diesel. WhatsApp Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further Facebook Renewed calls for full-time Garda in Kilmacrennan By News Highland – November 29, 2018 Pinterest Driver tests positive for Cannabis in Letterkenny Google+ Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic WhatsAppcenter_img Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Twitter Previous articleCost of childcare in Donegal up €15 per weekNext article‘Go for Life’ National Grant Scheme announces over €10,000 for Donegal News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA News Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows last_img read more