Church denies involvement in Claudy bomb cover-up Previous articleWelfare payments for Keith Prowse workers being processedNext articleHSE plays down impact of telephone fault at Letterkenny Health Centre News Highland Twitter Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released Facebook Google+ The Catholic Church has denied it engaged in a cover-up to protect a priest suspected of involvement in the 1972 Claudy bombing, in which 9 people were killed.The North’s police ombudsman’s report into the atrocity – says the RUC conspired with the British government and the Catholic church – to transfer Fr James Chesney.Fr Chesney, who’s alleged to have been the IRA’s Director of Operations in South Derry – was subsequently transferred to a parish in Donegal, where he died in 1980.In a statement, Cardinal Sean Brady said the Church accepts the Ombudsman’s findings, but denied that it was involved in a cover up.The statement makes no reference to the priest’s transfer, and Cardinal Brady says if there was evidence to connect Fr Chesney to the bombing, he should have been arrested and questioned….[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/brady530.mp3[/podcast] Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme WhatsApp HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Pinterest Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter WhatsApp News Pinterest Google+ PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal By News Highland – August 24, 2010
A few updates on the new multi-media show Dusty. The production, currently in preview, has pushed back its opening night from June 3 to September 7. Previously set to shutter on August 22, the world premiere will now play a limited engagement through November 21 at London’s Charing Cross Theatre.As previously reported, the cast of the tuner that celebrates the music of 60’s pop icon Dusty Springfield includes Ellie Ann-Lowe as Mary O’Brien, with Francesca Jackson as Nancy, Stewart McCheyne as DJ Dave Dean, Ben Tolley as Johnny Franz, Leo Elso as Dion O’Brien/Tom Springfield, Joe Vetch as Douggie Reece, Joan Walker as Kay O’Brien, Graham Kent as Gerard ‘OB’ O’Brien, Tristan Pate as Vic Billings, Allyson Ava Brown as Martha Reeves, Danielle Kassarata as Maddie and Arabella Rodrigo as Norma. Bex Leung, Cleo Jaeger and Marianna Neofitou round out the company.Written by Kim Weild and Duncan Sibbald with dramaturg Jack Bradley, the production is directed by Chris Cowey. With original music by Dusty Springfield, audiences see and hear Springfield on stage using 3-D technology and digital media. Dusty follows the highs and lows of Springfield’s rise from middle class suburban London to the recording of her seminal album Dusty in Memphis. Through the eyes of Nancy Jones, one of Dusty’s childhood friends, and other key figures who accompanied her on her journey, Dusty celebrates the life of one of Britain’s most influential recording artists.Another tuner based on the pop legend, Forever Dusty, closed off-Broadway in spring 2013. View Comments
The Latest: Two Arizona relievers tested positive for virus Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Arizona manager Torey Lovullo says that relief pitchers Silvino Bracho and Junior Guerra have both tested positive for COVID-19. Associated Press Other people essential to the staging of events such as officials, coaches, medics, mechanics and incoming members of the media will also be permitted to travel without quarantine.In return, sporting authorities and event organizers must put in place stringent protocols to ensure that they have a minimal impact on public health during the coronavirus pandemic.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports July 5, 2020 ___The Oakland Athletics’ first full-squad workout was pushed back from Sunday following the July 4 holiday given the club hadn’t received results from position player intake testing done Friday, according to general manager David Forst. “We all know that being flexible and adjusting to the unknowns is going to be part of everything we do this season,” Forst said. Manager Bob Melvin is eager to get everybody on the field together at the Coliseum while understanding he must be flexible during this fluid time. ‘“It feels like we’re five days behind with position players,” said Melvin, who has slated the first live batting practice during a longer workout Tuesday. Bucks officials confirmed Sunday that they had closed the facility and that they aren’t planning to reopen it before leaving for Florida on Thursday to prepare for the NBA’s resumption of the season at Walt Disney World.The news of the closing was first reported by ESPN, which said the Bucks closed the facility after receiving results from Friday’s testing.The Bucks owned an NBA-leading 53-12 record when play was suspended in mid-March because of the coronavirus pandemic. Their magic number for clinching the Eastern Conference’s top seed in the playoffs is two as they chase their first NBA title since 1971.Milwaukee is scheduled to resume play July 31 against the Boston Celtics, its first of eight games to close the regular season.___ The Diamondbacks had previously revealed that three players on the 40-man roster had tested positive but Sunday was the first time any were identified.Lovullo said both players are doing well.“The two guys I mentioned are asymptomatic and feel great,” Lovullo said. “They’re in the protocol, doing what they can and taking care of what they can at home and healing up.”___The Milwaukee Bucks have closed their practice facility following the team’s Friday round of testing for the coronavirus. ___Washington Nationals manager Dave Martinez says two players out of 60 tested turned up positive for the novel coronavirus.Martinez says the two players took their tests Wednesday before reporting to Nationals Park and that some are still awaiting their results. Reliever Sean Doolittle minutes earlier lamented not having his COVID-19 test results back from Friday and implored baseball to “clean this up.”Doolittle, who was part of Washington’s World Series-winning team last season, said he’s still debating whether to play this season, weighing safety concerns and physical and mental health. The 33-year-old said the Nationals still haven’t received the respirator masks they were told were coming and expressed concerns about the situation.— Stephen Whyno reporting from Washington ___The Chicago White Sox say two players have tested positive for COVID-19 and are in isolation.The team said Sunday that the two unidentified players are asymptomatic, and contact tracing for both was conducted. They are being monitored by team medical staff and will receive follow-up testing in the coming days.They will be allowed to return to baseball activities after they test negative twice and pass other appropriate COVID-19 protocols.The White Sox say both players requested privacy, meaning the team isn’t able to comment further. ___The UK government says selected sports stars are to be exempt from quarantine requirements when competing in England.However, those involved will instead live and work in “bubbled” environments behind closed doors, UK culture secretary Oliver Dowden announced on Sunday.The new measures will allow Formula One, international soccer, golf and snooker events to take place. Competitors involved in these events will be granted quarantine exemptions.International cricketers are also now formally exempt, although individual special arrangements have already been made for the touring West Indies and Pakistan teams this summer. Lone Star Park, a horse track about 15 miles west of downtown Dallas that has been allowing fans to attend races, canceled eight of its nine scheduled races Sunday because of coronavirus concerns.“Due to an abundance of caution, all racing operations at Lone Star Park have been suspended due to (COVID-19),” read a statement on the track’s Twitter account. “Racing will resume at a date to be determined.”The announcement was made about 45 minutes after the first race was completed. Racing had been scheduled to resume Monday. There was no immediate announcement on a specific restart date or if the rest of the season, scheduled to run three or four days a week through Aug. 11, will be called off.Lone Star Park had been mandating that fans attending all must wear masks, except when eating or drinking.Texas reported a record daily increase of 8,258 confirmed coronavirus cases Saturday and has been retreating from what had been one of the country’s swiftest reopenings. Some officials in major cities such as Austin and Houston have been asking state leaders to restore previous stay-at-home orders.