West Indies fast bowler Jerome Taylor said though he only played in one of six matches in the just-concluded ICC World Twenty20 World Cup in India, he is more than elated that the team was able to recapture the crown.”It’s a team effort, and a win is a win,” he said, shortly after the arrival of the Jamaican members of the team on Tuesday in Kingston.”We knew when we left here (the Caribbean) that all 15 of us could not play at the same time.”The nature of the wickets called for adjustments to be made, and the selectors chose horses for courses,” he added.Taylor, who claimed none for 30 off three overs in the team’s tournament-opening six-wicket win over England, also explained that the decisions taken were supported by team members.”It (to leave him out) was a team decision, as both players, management and everyone, we took unto ourselves to say that if that’s the best case, then go with whatever decisions are made.”The 31-year-old, who said his focus would now turn to the upcoming Caribbean Tri-Nation series, involving Australia and South Africa, as well as the planned Test tour by India, also gave insight as to what the feeling was like in the players’ dressing room in the last over of the final.Needing a challenging 19 runs off the over with the previously unheralded all-rounder Carlos Brathwaite, who made 34 not out off just 10 balls, smashed four sixes off the first four deliveries to seal the win at 161 for six.England had earlier made 155 for nine.”For me, it was never over until the fat lady sings,” Taylor said.”We had some guys, who were feeling down and out by the moment. But we had guys, like myself, who was still pretty optimistic, this knowing the power hitters that we had at the wicket in Carlos Brathwaite and Marlon Samuels, who were set at the time and striking the ball pretty well.”He said he was happy to have played a part in making the Caribbean proud.”The way the guys turned up and put the team and the people of the Caribbean in front was brilliant,” he said.- J. L.
DD HEALTH: The Irish Society for Crohn’s and Colitis (ISCC) has launched its manifesto to highlight much-needed resources for those suffering from the debilitating effects of the chronic disease.ISCC marked World IBD Day this week by producing a “IBD Manifesto” to raise awareness of the challenges faced by patients and called for all patients to have access to a Specialist IBD Nurse.It is thought that at least 20,000 people are living with IBD in Ireland.There were 5.9 new cases of Crohn’s disease in Ireland per 100,000 population in 2011 and 14.9 new cases of ulcerative colitis (although the incidence of Crohn’s disease is higher than ulcerative colitis in children). Males and females are affected equally and patients can be diagnosed at any age, including babies and children.The peak age of incidence is between the ages of 15 and 35, with a second (smaller) peak from the 50s to 70s.IBD diagnosed in children can behave differently and can be treated differently to that diagnosed in adults.Both conditions come under the heading of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in which the digestive system is impaired and the gut becomes inflamed and swollen. Symptoms may, however, ‘flare up’, from time to time.In some cases, when parts of the colon may become too inflamed, patients may need surgery.Symptoms of IBD vary from person to person:the affected area of the intestinedepth of inflammationextent of inflammationSigns and symptoms of Crohn’s diseasepersistent diarrhoeafever (sometimes in the form of night sweats)fatigueanaemianausea, vomitingcramps, abdominal painSigns and symptoms of ulcerative colitisdiarrhoea, often with mucus containing bloodtenesmusbleeding from the bottomfatigueanaemiacramps, abdominal painfever occurs in severe casesweight loss is less common than in Crohn’s disease The manifesto lays out a series of evidence-based recommendations to inform effective service planning and targeted resource allocation for patients today and into the future, says the charity.It calls on an a National Strategy for Crohn’s and Colitis to provide an overall framework to deliver key elements set out in the manifesto.They can be summarised as follows:Equitable access to an IBD Nurse and multidisciplinary care team.Self-care and patient empowerment.Sustainable funding model. An immediate concern for the ISCC is to address the national shortage of specialist IBD nurses.In says: “They play a crucial role in improving health outcomes for people living with IBD.We want to tell everyone about the importance of Specialist IBD nurses who understand their needs and can provide the right kind of support when they most need it.”For more information visit: http://www.iscc.ieDD TRAVEL: GUTSY CHARITY FIGHTS FOR MORE RESOURCES FOR CROHN’S AND COLITIS PATIENTS was last modified: May 20th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Crohn’s diseaseIrish Society for Crohn’s and Colitis (ISCC)
Tags: sport top KCCA team that started against CNaPS Sport yesterday.KCCA FC went down 2-1 against CNaPS Sport FC in the first round of the CAF Champions League preliminary round at Vontovorona stadium Madagascar.This was the Kasasiro Boys seventh successive loss away from home on the continent despite taking a second half lead thanks to in-form striker Derrick Nsibambi.KCCA conceded only seven minutes after taking the lead when Filbert Obenchan handled in the penalty area and Fenosoa Ratolojanahary converted the resulting penalty kick.With a minute to play in added time, Francis Rafaralahy headed CNaPS’ second goal from Lalaina Jacquot’s cross to give the hosts a 2-1 win.Mike Mutebi’s charges have to find a winning formula on their travels as it also was their undoing last season in both the CAF Champions league and Confederations cup.Against Mamelodi Sundowns in the Champions league first round, KCCA lost 2-1 in South Africa before drawing 1-1 at Lugogo and in the due course eliminated 3-2 on aggregate.When they reached the group stages of the Confederations cup, the Kasasiro Boys lost all three of their away games in group A including a 4-0 loss to Club Africain in the last game and they where eliminated on goal difference despite finishing level on points with Morocco’s FUS Rabbat.With at least a point in one of their away games during the CAF confederations cup, KCCA would have surely gone into the quarter finals.If they are to perform better this time round, they will need to work on their travels clearly.KCCA and CNaPS will tussle it out in the second leg on the 21st February 2018 at StartTimes stadium, Lugogo.KCCA Team that started.Charles Lukwago (GK), Habib Kavuma, Lawrence Bukenya, Awany Timothy ©, Derrick Nsibambi, Mustaffa Kizza, Shaban Muhammad, Poloto Julius, Allan Okello, Filbert Obenchan.Comments
TORONTO — The first of 17 remote First Nations has been connected to Ontario’s power grid under a $1.6-billion expansion project.The diesel generating station in Pikangikum First Nation, more than 200 kilometres north of Kenora, Ont., was shut down Thursday as the transmission lines to the provincial grid were energized.The work is part of the Wataynikaneyap Power Transmission Line Project launched in 2015, which will connect remote communities to the grid over an 1,800-kilometre transmission line.Nishnawbe Aski Nation Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler called the connection an “enormous achievement.“A reliable power source will finally end Pikangikum’s reliance on diesel generation and help the community advance plans for growth and development,” he said in a statement Thursday.The full project is expected to be completed by 2023, and will shift the communities from dependence on diesel fuel for power to the provincial electricity grid.“Connecting our remote communities to the provincial grid is better for the environment and will help improve the lives of our members,” Fiddler said.A 2014 study by Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator determined there was a positive business case to extend the electricity grid to 21 of the 25 First Nations that depend on diesel.The federal government is covering the cost of the project.When the plan to build the line was announced, it was billed as the largest Indigenous-led and Indigenous-owned infrastructure project in the province’s history.Wataynikaneyap Power, which is heading up the project, is a licensed transmission company that is equally owned by 22 First Nation communities in partnership with power company Fortis.Ontario Energy Minister Greg Rickford said access to reliable and affordable electricity will help Pikangikum connect to greater economic opportunities.“This transformational project is expected to provide more than 14,000 people living in remote First Nation communities in northwestern Ontario with a reliable, clean supply of electricity,” he said in a statement.“It’s also bringing something even more significant — the promise of a brighter future.”The Canadian Press